We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

My family will be in London in June. What time would our family need to arrive at St. Paul's Cathedral for Sunday evening 6:00 Eucharist?

Old Royal Naval College
Historic Sites, Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals
Westminster Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Temple Church
Churches & Cathedrals
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

I should think about 5.30. The cathedral is not short of space

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

I'd say closer to 5.59, and that only for politeness. This is England.

In the spectacularly unlikely possibility the congregation outnumbers the seats (it'd be astounded if they filled more than 10%), remember that pews and seats in Christian churches are a modern innovation, and for most of history standing and kneeling were the only options.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

Extremely unlikely the numbers would justify queuing, so get there just before 6.00pm

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

Thank you!

New England
Level Contributor
14 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

We walked into both Evensong services (weekdays) for w. Abbey and St Pauls without problems. That was especially shocking given the length of the line that morning for W Abbey to tour for a fee.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

<< That was especially shocking >>

In what way ? Few worshippers ? Although the Uk is a nominally Christian country, church attendances are pretty low apart from the Christmas & Easter times when people feel slightly obliged to keep up traditions

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

That's not really so surprising. When you go for a service you only get to see a fraction of the building that you get to see if you pay for entry as a tourist. You also have to commit yourself to staying for a religious service of around 45 minutes in which most people have no interest.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

I'd show up about 15 min early. That gives you time to get in and get seated. You can walk past the barriers to sit under the dome as long as you plan to stay for the whole service. There are staff people standing there, but they aren't going to keep you out if you're attending the service. They just don't want people going in for 5 min and leaving as that's disruptive. IIRC, the Eucharist service is held under the Dome, so that would be where you would want to sit (as opposed to Evensong, when I prefer to sit in the quire).

9. Re: Queue St. Paul's 6:00pm Sunday Eucharist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 06:17