We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping grocery deliverer

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
tipping grocery deliverer

If I get an order delivered by Waitrose, for which there is a (small) charge, is it customary to tip the person who does the delivering?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

In a word "NO!"

But I'll get my cocoa and custard creams and wait for my insomnia to be cured!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

no =unless they walk up 4 flights of stairs

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,821 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

No, it is not the custom.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

No, its their job.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

No it's not customary to tip Waitrose drivers, in fact they are actually not allowed to accept tips, so will probably refuse even if you did offer.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

Fortunately, we have not as yet, followed our American cousins in having to tip for everything.

On another point,so far as I am aware, Waitrose deliveries are free as long as you have spent £50, so there should be no charge for this service.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 07:13
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

Accepting tips is fundamentally at odds with the culture of Waitrose, where the staff own the business and get their main financial incentive from sharing the company's profit.

By offering cash to the deliverer (who has precisely the same stake in the business as its CEO) you're tempting him or her to dishonour what the company stands for. However many flights of stairs she's walked up

Just don't. Especially if this comment is followed by the inevitable Yank telling you how essential tipping is to freedom, democracy and our God-given right to work for peanuts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

It is not neccesary but my father in law always gives them £5. I tell him not to bother but he does it anyway, no driver has ever refused his tip.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
949 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

I have a friend who tries to tip their Tesco delivery driver, I think they refuse though, as they are not allowed to accept tips. Personally I'd never thought of tipping them.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping grocery deliverer

It is not the custom.

I admit to giving the Asda guy a Christmas Box this year - well, it was Christmas Eve - but otherwise no, it's not done.