We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 3.5 days in London this week

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Torbay
Level Contributor
94 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 3.5 days in London this week

We cross the 'pond' tomorrow night and arrive at Heathrow early Wednesday morning. I have a rough outline of what we would like to do. I want to allow free time for exploring various neighborhoods. We will probably take the Heathrow connect to Paddington and then use one day travel cards to take advantage of the 2 for 1 deals. What are your thoughts of our tentative itinerary?

Day 1, Wednesday:

arrive Heathrow 6:30 AM, clear customs then take train to Paddington Station and drop bags at hotel on Norfolk Square

Maybe a look around Oxford Street and Hyde Park. Not sure what to plan here as I am not sure what time we will get to hotel. Suggestions?

Fat Tire Bike tour at 3:30, a four hour tour. This should bring us close to the end of our long first day, maybe a pub on the walk back to hotel.

Day 2, Thursday

Tower of London (early to be ahead of crowds)

Tower bridge, maybe we should do Westminster Abbey instead

cruise the Thames.

hope to see a show

Day 3, Friday

Westminster Abbey, see Big Ben,

Buckingham Palace, guard change

maybe another show

Day 4, Saturday

We take the Eurostar to Paris at 16:52 which leaves us lots of time to explore, hopefully we can leave our bags at the hotel.

maybe St. Paul's cathedral or Churchill War Rooms

Picadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square??

Thanks for the help

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 3.5 days in London this week

Most of this sounds sensible.

The HEX is very expensive, and therefore unpopular on this forum - although you are staying right next to Paddington. Tube takes longer but is significantly cheaper. Or get the Heathrow Connect train (also into Paddington, slower, cheaper).

What do you want to see on Oxford Street? The shops are the same you get anywhere in the UK (i.e. chain stores) and not that exciting. It is also very busy. If you desperately wanted to see Selfridges, that might be worth it, but it is a very expensive shop! There isn't *that much* exciting stuff in Hyde Park either, but it's a good idea to keep out in the daylight for the jet lag. Where does your tour start? Maybe we can give some suggestions...

Are you going into (up) Tower Bridge or just looking at it / going across it? If the latter, this takes max 15 mins (including stopping in the middle of the bridge for a compulsory photo). Where are you going from / to on your cruise on the Thames? I ask as this is likely to take some time, and Westminster Abbey isn't that close to the Tower so timings might get a bit tight. St Paul's is nearer and would fit better with the schedule if you are interested in visiting that. You might be able to do some kind of boat trip afterwards depending on what you want to go / where you want to go.

Search here for what people think of the Bucky Pal guard change. You need to get there early, you can't see that much and it can be a bit underwhelming. But, it is a classic London must-see for many visitors. You might want to consider something else instead. You could fit something else in on the Friday probably, if you skipped that... maybe Westminster Abbey in the morning, Big Ben (only to look at) and something else in the afternoon (Church War Rooms are nearby and would fit)? Or you could do yourself a mini-walking tour encompassing Bucky Pal, the Mall, Horse Guards, Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey as they are all close to each other. Trafalgar Sq is near by (ish) also.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Piccadilly Circus. It's busy and underwhelming. Pick something else, you have loads of time before you will need to be at the station. Maybe the British Museum or one of the art galleries?

Torbay
Level Contributor
94 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 3.5 days in London this week

Hi kittyl48,

Thanks for all the great information! I agree and don’t think we need to take the HEX. I will take the Tube or Heathrow Connect depending on schedules and train changes for the Tube.

We really don’t have anything particular to see on Oxford Street so we will skip it, just thought it might be a neighborhood to explore. Hyde Park is just for the walk outside as you have mentioned to combat jetlag and it seems in between our hotel and the start of the bike tour. Between this and the bicycle tour we should be outside most of the afternoon. The guard change is not critical for us, just another thing we might like to see. I did read how this is somewhat underwhelming. Here is a modified itinerary based on your suggestions:

Day 1, Wednesday:

- arrive Heathrow 6:30 AM, clear customs, take a train to Paddington Station and drop bags at hotel on Norfolk Square (St. David’s Hotels)

- Maybe a look around Hyde Park or other suggestions? I think we need something here as there should be lots of time.

- 3:30 PM: Royal London Tour with Fat Tire Bike Tours, starts at the Queensway Tube Station, 2for1, and is a four hour tour. That should be the end of our long first day!

Day 2, Thursday

- Tower of London (early to be ahead of crowds)

- maybe cross the Tower bridge

- St. Paul’s Cathedral

- stop at Leicester Square for show tickets to whatever seems interesting

Day 3, Friday

- Westminster Abbey, see Big Ben,

- Churchill War Rooms

- maybe Trafalgar Square? This puts us close to Leicester Square if we want show tickets again?

Day 4, Saturday

We take the Eurostar to Paris at 16:52 which leaves us lots of time to explore, hopefully we can leave our bags at the hotel.

- Trafalgar Square if it doesn’t work on Friday

- British Museum

Thanks Again!

3. Re: Itinerary for 3.5 days in London this week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 11:21