We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

Hello, we are looking for some suggestion for us to plan a 10-day (flights not-included) maiden trip to the U.K. Tentative date is next July. We've got two active 10-year-olds (will be 11 next year), which means they probably wouldn't do museums well but would dig a lot of variety of attractions, the more outdoors the better. We don't have a lot of ideas yet. We certainly want to spend adequate time in London but not too much, and would love to visit the Stonehenge, Oxford or Cambridge, maybe a short trip to Scotland if time permitted. We'd also appreciate some tips in lodging particularly in London. We try to contain our lodging budget to under US$300 per night if possible, definitely under $400.

Thanks in advance

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

Are your children familiar with steam trains and beaches at home? If not, personally I would try to include both these on my itinerary. I would forget Stonehenge, they are likely to see it as a pile of old stones, bo-oring.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

Think about things like cycling (there are places you can hire bikes and ride them off road, egg around Rutland water), boats - you could hire a narrow boat on a canal for a day or longer, or just go and watch at a busy flight of locks. They might like kayakking, eg on the river wye, while parents either join in, or keep the local pub in business. Children usually enjoy hill walking in eg the lake district, North Wales, or Scotland. The uk has some good beaches too, subject to OK weather.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

I would minimise your time in cities with those criteria, and as others have suggested, get out into the countryside. You can walk The Seven Sisters in East Sussex, try the via Ferrata at Honister slate mine in The Lake District (walk up Catbells whilst you're there), visit Harlech with it castle and huge beach in North Wales etc. etc

Google these - and get a guide book so the kids can choose what they want to do.

Mike

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

That's a VERY helpful tip, thank you!

The kids wanted to visit castles, uhh, just not too many of them. So any recommendation of a couple of representative ones that would get them excited would be appreciated.

Trains, cycling, boating are great ideas. What about horseback riding?

I also heard about a lot of mazes. Any good recommendation?

Any good "Harry Potter tours" to recommend or are they too gimmicky?

What areas in London are good for lodging, or, for that matter, we should avoid?

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

Harry potter:

http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/

Excellent.. essential to book, as 1) they sell out and 2) you can't buy tickets on the door anyway

Castles: Tower of London , Kenilworth (ruin but great), Warwick (expensive, slightly 'disneyfied'), several in North Wales.

Mazes: Hampton Court.. there's one at Blenheim Palace (near Oxford) I think, and Chatsworth (Peak District)

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

Well I've already recommended one castle, but since you ask, Bodiam is my favourite. It just looks like a proper castle.

Mike

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

Instead of Scotland, think about a couple of days in York, which is a walled city--something your kids won't see every day. It is 2 hours from London by train. There is a Viking Museum, the Jorvik Viking Center, although I haven't been myself.

You kids may appreciate an RIB ride on the Thames, complete with Bond music.

http://www.londonribvoyages.com/

And think about doing the London Eye.

For lodging, have a look at the Premier Inn County Hall, which has a great location.

premierinn.com/en/…london-county-hall

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

Two historic sites that all the family will enjoy are the Tower of London and Hampton Court Palace which has a maze too.

Harry Potter at Warner Studios is the top Harry Potter attraction. It is located on the northern fringes of London and will take most of one day to visit. You must book ahead for this one.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 22:31
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,470 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

If your children like a bit of horror as well as castles, then a Yeoman Warder tour of the Tower of London should suit. You can get a flavour on You Tube.

You could also try them on the Natural History Museum for dinosaurs (there is one as you walk in).

Have fun

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10-day summer trip itinerary for family with active tweens

Most kids I know at that age seem fascinated by the mummies--especially the animal mummies in the British Museum.

It is free, so you can spend as much or as little time there as you like. My son loved the mummies, and the clock room at 10. If memory serves there is also a treasure hunt for kids.