We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the road...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
521 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the road...

This may be a silly question but coming off my first day in London, crossing the road at lights is still a mystery. When there are pedestrian lights - walk on green, don't walk on red - easy. BUT when there are no pedestrian lights but those Look Left, Look right on the road, do you just cross if no traffic? I felt more comfortable crossing the road in Hanoi. Advice??

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the road...

Surely you cross roads in Australia?. Do whatever you do there.

( for one thing, you aren't going to cross if there IS traffic, hopefully).

Edited: 19 May 2014, 18:17
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the road...

If it is a marked crossing point, traffic should stop for you. In my experience, 99% of the time, traffic will stop, even in London. Just watch the locals and follow what they are doing!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the road...

As long as it's safe to cross, then you can cross the road. There is no law preventing jaywalking.

Why would it be dangerous if there's no traffic coming?

Bushey, England
Level Contributor
317 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the road...

For Michael:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRUBMBi_lp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Qnan37HiU

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the road...

Obviously the previous posters have never stood im Femchurch Street by the station at

8:30. No one looks before stepping out. Sheep have nothing on London's commuters in the rush hour.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing the road...

Sheep in rush hour are a wondrous thing to behold.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing the road...

Where I live there are strick laws against jaywalking and heavy fines. So in summary - if safe you can cross.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing the road...

Are you sure there isn't a red man / green man on the side, rather than opposite you? a lot of new crossings are like that now. If not then it's just a matter of waiting for a gap or someone to stop for you.

I sometimes cross the road like I would in Hanoi here, my boss almost had a heart attack when I did it the other day (I had the manoeuvre carefully calculated in my head, but still not adviseable)

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing the road...

>>Are you sure there isn't a red man / green man on the side, rather than opposite you? a lot of new crossings are like that now<<

I hate those! When someone's standing there you can't see them! How am I supposed to know when I can cross??

London, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crossing the road...

If its safe you can cross wherever you like.