We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Cards in London

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Credit Cards in London

Hi! Are credit cards accepted in most touristy spots in London such as paying at non-fancy restaurants, entrance fees at the museums/attractions, grocery stores, etc? I have a VISA credit card that won't charge me fees for using the card outside US. We will also carry some cash but would prefer the simplicity of credit cards and get those points :-)

Thanks for the advise!

Strawberry Tours - Free Walking Tours London
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Fun London Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,468 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Cards in London

yes - very widely accepted. Sometimes shop assistants get a bit confused by non chip & pin cards, since virtually all of ours are. But they should be able to work with a signature, too

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,999 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Cards in London

I've never had a problem at any place with a human. If it's not chip and pin (or sometimes chip and signature) it may not work in machines. You may not be able to use self checkouts in grocery stores. I have been asked for ID when using credit cards. I've used my passport, I've never tried my US driver's license so don't know if that would work.

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Cards in London

I will be in London for 3 days. How much British pounds should I get from ATM machines if credit cards are widely accepted? Are euros widely accepted as well? Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Cards in London

Euros are not widely accepted as they are not legal currency here. Some large stores will accept them but the exchange rate is not going to be very good.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,532 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Cards in London

It's not a good idea to use Euro's in the UK even in places where they are accepted, as the exchange rate will be very poor.

As for how much cash to get out, hat depends on how much you think you are going to spend using cash! We normally end up taking too much out, but it doesn't seem much of a chore to spend the cash in the end, we simply use cash instead of cards!

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,999 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Cards in London

There's no way to tell how many £ you'll need. It depends on where you are going and what you will be spending. I like to start out with about £100 on arrival and then get more from ATMs as needed, but I've never spent only 3 days on a London/UK trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Cards in London

Thanks for the feedback!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,971 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Cards in London

Diners are on the wane.

9. Re: Credit Cards in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:15