We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
160 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

Hello,

My daughter will be attending a 5 week summer acting course at BADA (62-64 Gower Street, London). I plan on coming over with her 8 days before she gets to check into her dorm at Astor College (99 Charlotte Street). I just want to make sure she gets settled and gets familiar with the area. There is a quick 10 minute walk between BADA and her room at Astor College. I don't know if I should stay with close proximity of the school or should venture a little bit out possible for better area etc.... And I am trying to use my points as a Hiltons Honors member. So far my selection has been:

Hilton Euston (looks to be near)

Doubletree West End

Doubletree Victoria (this sounds good as we are coming in from Gatwick and hotel is across street from Rail)

Hilton Islington (depending if I can get it on lower points as they are now booked)

Doubletree Ealing (low points, but is it too far by tube)

Hilton Olympia-

So basically if the hotel is further away is it easy access to the school and college?

Oh one last thing, My dates are July 13- July 22nd but I plan on spending the last night at Hampton Gatwick so I don't have to rush too much with a morning flight.

We plan on doing touristy stuff and hopefully taking in a couple of shows since her passion is theater. Thanks in advance!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

The Hilton Euston is best situated for Gower Street and Fitzrovia. Should you choose it then for the journey from the airport you may take a First Capital Connect train to London Bridge (fare £7.40 or £10 with a one day Travelcard, well worth the small extra spend) and taxi from there rather than pay £15 per person (£15.80 with a one day Travelcard) to Victoria. Of the other hotels I'd choose the Doubletree West End rather than the Doubletree Victoria property.

Depending on the time of day your flight departs on 22 July you may prefer to stay in London and travel from St Pancras to Gatwick, with travel time of about 45 minutes.

You and Miss celticgirl may find that buses are handy for many trips to and from Gower Street: …tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/goo… The spider map is not to scale, with the walk from stop A to stops C and D taking about four minutes. There are plenty of connections at St Giles Circus as well: …tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/tot…

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

The first four on your list sound just fine in terms of location and access by public transport to your daughter's area with the Euston hotel probably the easiest.

Edited: 23 May 2014, 06:45
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

Yep, like hardygeranium, I'd consider all but Doubletree Ealing and Hilton Olympia.

I frequently stay in the Islington and Euston. All four have pluses and minuses. I stayed just once in the Doubletree West End (as a tourist) and liked it but it did get mixed reviews at one point, not sure what its like now, but it is very centrally placed for tourism and would be my first choice purely on location. But check the reviews.

You may decide that more central location overrides the inconvenience of a few extra trips regards your daughter, or not. FWIW Islington is a lively area at night lots of pubs and restaurants (pub the hotel is set back and quiet). West End would be walkable to a lot of touristy places and shopping. Euston obviously best placed for your daughter and near tube stations.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

Just a comment, as I don't think that it is merely a typo: I assume that you mean RADA, the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, located at 62-64 Gower Street, London WC1E 6ED. I mention this because there is also an institution called the British American Drama Academy, known as BADA, located at 14 Gloucester Gate, London NW1 4HG.

Am I correct in understanding that your daughter will not be attending any classes while you are staying in the hotel, and that you will be visiting RADA during this period for familiarisation purposes only? In that case proximity to RADA is presumably not the most important consideration, as you will presumably not be visiting the area every day during your stay.

I would go for the West End location. I have been there once to have dinner. It seems to me to be by far the best location. The Euston hotel is only about 2 minutes (or 0.1 mile) closer on foot, which I hardly think will make any difference to you. What may make some difference is that the West End hotel is located more conveniently for standard tourist attractions and for West End theatre.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
160 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

Thank you all for the comments. I should correct my post to that she will be attending RADA not BADA:)

Is the surrounding area around Euston lively enough? Trying to get the most bang for my buck with these Hilton points. I'm sure I will have plenty more questions in the days to come. Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

>>Trying to get the most bang for my buck with these Hilton points.<<

I don't know anything about Hilton points, so I am not sure how you do this. Do you mean that it "costs" fewer points to stay at Euston than it does to stay at West End? Or do you have so many points that you want to use them up by staying at the most expensive hotel possible?

Anyway, my honest opinion would be that you are better off staying somewhere just a little further south. There is really not a lot going on up by the Euston Road. The only local points of interest that I can think of are University College (of which Astor College is a part; it includes several small museums and a theatre), The Place (contemporary dance), and the Wellcome Collection (a medical museum). It's also a short walk to British Library and a not so short walk to places like Regent's Park and Camden Town. A bit further south where the West End hotel is has more of a feeling of being in the middle of London. There is not a huge amount of difference between the two (just over 10 mins walking time), but I think that the more southerly location has more of a lively feel to it.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

For what it is worth, I think that the best located Hilton hotels in London are The Trafalgar London, 2 Spring Gardens, Trafalgar Square, London SW1A 2TS, and The Waldorf Hilton, Aldwych, London WC2B 4DD.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
160 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

Jonathan thank you for that information, the West End sounds better and I believe the rooms are newer as well. I posted my reply before reading your comment about RADA, as soon as it posted I knew I messed it up, she had applied at 3 different ones LAMDA and BADA included. She won't check into her dorm until the day before I leave and classes at RADA start the day I leave. Yes Hilton points you pay higher points for nicer propertys etc, also get perks like free breakfasts, upgrades, etc... The best part is you don't pay any taxes or money on your stay.

9. Re: Location advice needed for Mom of Daughter attending BADA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:17