We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

Hello! My husband and I are being relocated to London for a two year assignment in January. I have never been to London before, but have heard wonderful things about the city. We have lived in NYC for 3 years and love the charming neighborhoods of Greenwich Village, West Village, and the Upper West side. They have great brownstones, cobblestone/tree lined streets, lots of restaurants, shops, parks and bars. They are quaint areas with character and I am looking for the same type of area in London. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

Hi, hope you enjoy your 2 years in London!

Where can we start?

If money isn't an issue, then the best suburbs will be Hampstead, Kensington, Wimbledon, parts of Islington and St. John's Wood.

Next sector, slightly cheaper but still nice are: Golders Green, Finchley, Fulham, Richmond, Harrow and Blackheath.

There are also some 'up-and-coming' areas like Wandsworth, Battersea, Clapham and Docklands that you might want to look at as well.

Areas to avoid would generally be anywhere with a postcode that starts with 'E' (I'm from there before any irate EastEnders start!) except maybe Chingford (E4)

Take a look at these and see what you like then come back and we can narrow the search down a bit more

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,835 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

I would add Bloomsbury and Clerkenwell to the 'money no object' list.

I think a lot would depend on where in London you will be working and how far you are prepared to commute. Some of the areas such as Harrow (parts of which are not so nice) that the above poster mentions would almost certainly work out cheaper property wise than a more central location but fares will be more and the time spent travelling could add up to an hour to the working day.

A good and trusted relocation agent is very important. I would hope your company uses such a person.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

Well if money was no object I would choose Wimbledon or Richmond- they have all the qualities you mentioned and are just outside London but on a tube line so comuting is easy.

nyc
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

Thanks- all of the information that you guys gave me was great. We did find out that my husband will be working in Mayfair. I also understand that Fitzrovia is in the same area and have heard some great things....Is the W1 district more of the financial area and not as much of a neighborhood? Based on what we have learned so far, we will look into Hampstead, Kensington, Clerkenwell and possibly W1 for convenience for my husband's commute. He is commuting over an hour now, so he is open to a tube ride for the right neighborhood. I think we will be making a trip in Sept. to narrow down an area. If I am missing anything, please let me know. Thanks again for the information! Cheers.

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

if money really was no object then I would live in Mayfair, Knightsbridge, Chelsea or Marylebone.

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

Add Notting Hill too - esp around Kensington Park Road. Slightly further out than the places I have mentioned above, but still a lovely area.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

I work in Mayfair, not sure that I would want to live here too. You would only get a very small apartment for your money, move out a bit and you'll get more space and in my opinion nicer sourroundings. If money is no object and you want to be close to Mayfair I would say Knightsbridge/Kensington/Chelsea.

8. Re: London expertise on neighborhoods? Rolcating from NYC!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 21:16