We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another travelcard question (sorry!)

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
281 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
another travelcard question (sorry!)

ok so I need some advice about travelling on the tube. We will be arriving into Kings Cross station by national rail and will have a return rail ticket valid for 5 days. It will be myself and 2 children ages 12 yrs and 10 yrs. We definitely want to go to the Tower of London and also go on the london eye and maybe a river cruise. Would like to take advantage of the 2-4-1. We will use the tube mainly to get around London and as far as I can see will only be travelling in zones 1 and 2. We will use the tube on all 5 consecutive days. Can someone please advise me what is the most economical way of doing this. Thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another travelcard question (sorry!)

If you keep the outbound raili ticket on arrival at KX as with it and the return you may use those for the two for one offers during your stay in London.

Your younger child will not need a ticket to use the Underground, Overground, DLR or buses. Your 12 year old may buy one day Travelcards at £3.60 each or a seven day card for £15.70; bought at the rail ticket office at King's Cross all s/he will need is a NR Photocard for purchase of the Travelcard at the Child rate. You may use PAYG on Oyster with an off peak daily cap of £7 or buy a seven day card for zones 1 and 2 at £31.40.

Seven day cards have no time constraints on them and may be better value for your five day stay than one day cards or PAYG on Oyster. Buy the Travelcards at the rail ticket office at King's Cross and you will be set.

Level Contributor
281 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another travelcard question (sorry!)

Thanks for your prompt reply! So I think I will buy the seven day card for myself, just one question or my 12 year old where do I get the NR photocard from? and for my 10 year old do I need to carry some id to prove age or do they just look at the child and judge their age? He is a small 10 year old anyway, thanks again

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: another travelcard question (sorry!)

You get the photocard where you buy the travelcard

They do just look at the child and judge the age

Proof of age is not mandatory but advisable - a photocopy of the relevant passport pages should do if you don't want to carry the actual thing with you

Edited: 25 May 2014, 09:22
Level Contributor
281 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another travelcard question (sorry!)

Thanks! I will carry a copy of his passport just to avoid any complications.

5. Re: another travelcard question (sorry!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:17