We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting London with kids in July

San Jose, California
13 posts
Save Topic
Visiting London with kids in July

Hi,

We are planning to visit London for the first time in July with our 5 & 11 year old kids. Flying in July 7th evening and flying out July 18th morning; airport is Heathrow. My sister lives in Manchester, pregnant with toddler in hand, so our plan is to visit them rather than making them travel.

1) What is the best way to get to Manchester from London, we will have luggage (2 big suitcases and 1 carry on maybe).

2) Any option for storing our other 2 pieces of big suitcases which we won't be needing in UK. Is airport luggage store only option?

We are planning to come back to London on sunday July 13 from Manchester to see around for 4 days.

3) Can you suggest a hotel that is family friendly and easy to get back to airport?

4) Thinking of doing hop on hop off , any other suggestion.

5) Plan is to visit London tourist attraction for 2 days, may be Windsor castle 3rd day and Brighton on 4th day. Took this itinerary idea from Frommers, the first 4 days frommers.com/destinations/england/732080#sth…

Does it sound good, any other suggestions.

6) Best way to get back to the airport, we will have the suitcases and ours is a morning 10 am flight.

Thanks in advance, really appreciate your help.

Regrads,

s

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting London with kids in July

We loved Legoland in Windsor, our kids were 11 and 9 when we were there last year. In July I imagine it will be packed. We were there in October and there were tumbleweeds blowing through it. We also went out to the Harry Potter Sudio Tour at Levesden, which they both loved also, although, I will admit for a five year old, it may not be that exciting. They both liked the Tower of London, there were a few things they could get their hands on, and they also like the sparkly crown jewels (I liked the sparkly crown jewels too) the British Museum was enjoyed ( and that's free, so that's always good)

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting London with kids in July

Your sister will have thoughts about what to do in Manchester (depends a bit whereabouts she lives) but your children might like Quarry Bank Mill where youngsters of their age used to work in a cotton mill.

Fish and chips at the Regency in Brighton, I think, as well as the Royal Pavilion.

Hop and Hop off might interest the small people but I suspect that its commentary will not.

At the Tower, take the Yeoman Warder tour. Depending who does it, the descriptions can be bloody and fun.

I wasn't impressed by Frommers' suggestion of Madame T's and much of the rest of their ideas.

Do consider a London park like St James' Park (the Queen's front garden) to run around, feed the birds and so forth.

Have fun

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting London with kids in July

On the practicalities, this is the link to the Heathrow website's Left Luggage page:

heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/s…

The "best" way to travel between Heathrow and Manchester depends on what your criteria are. There are frequent flights (see the Heathrow or Manchester airport websites) or you can take a train. For the train, given the size of your party and luggage, I'd be inclined to recommend a pre-booked car service to Euston station rather than attempting public transport. You can search for advice on both on this forum. It will also be possible to have a car service take you direct to your destination in Manchester (probably "better" = cheaper to use a Manchester - based company for this.)

I assume you're committed to Heathrow. If not, it might be worth considering flying into Manchester (direct flights from Las Vegas (!), Chicago and New York).

For hotels, also worth a search on this forum. Ibis and Premier Inn are both chains which get good ratings in the 3-star category (but if you find Ibis Budget, avoid), You might, though, be looking for something up- or down-market from this.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting London with kids in July

couldn't you fly into manchester (as it has a major airport) and depart from heathrow? or get a connection from heathrow to manchester if not?

San Jose, California
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting London with kids in July

Thanks for all the replies. We could have definitely flown into Manchester, but the original plan was my sis and family will join us in London and we will go around together for sight seeing . All that changed now that she just found out about the pregnancy! We don't want her to exert herself as she has had pregnancy related complications before.

Transportation (London-Manchester) and hotel booking are the biggest concerns now.

Could you suggest any area from where it's easy to see London and easy to get to Heathrew for our departure flight. Family friendly moderate budget hotels are what we are looking for.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks,

S

6. Re: Visiting London with kids in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:15