We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

san diego
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

Hi all

Flying into London 11/1/14 (sat),

leaving UK next day out of Southampton (sun 11/2/14)

I am thinking, an overnight in a small nice affordable town, on the way to Southampton?

??? Near the train route ???

??? A place with nice Pubs, near an affordable hotel ???

??? Quaint Old England ambiance ???

??? Good Idea ???

??? Your Expert Advise ???

!!! Thanks in Advance !!!

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

I can't recommend a hotel but there is Winchester 10 miles to the north. This is a small city famous for its cathedral, it has many old buildings with small shops and pubs. The railway station is at the 'top' of town and its then down hill walk of about 15 minutes to the cathedral.

Or Romsey which has its Abbey and is smaller than Winchester but not as interesting.

have a great trip.

Rob

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,910 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

Winchester is not a particularly cheap place to stay but works for all of yours other criteria.

You could also consider Salisbury for your stop if you wanted to see Stonehenge

Note that there is no direct train service between Heathrow and Winchester, Salisbury or Southampton so it would be best to look at National Express coaches http://coach.nationalexpress.com. Coaches don't run directly between T4 and Salisbury but do go to Winchester, from other terminals you can go directly to Salisbury or Winchester.

Getting to Romsey from Heathrow is not really straightforward so I would discount it.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

The most affordable places would be Southampton or Eastleigh. Southampton has city walls and old pubs in the old town section near the ferry terminal. Look up the Red Lion and Duke of Wellington trip advisor reviews. Eastleigh is more modern but much smaller and only 5 mins from the airport.

Winchester is most lovely but is also planet expense! I would never describe it as affordable, but it depends on your actual budget. When I win the lottery maybe. If you've seen the film of Les Miserables, the real Winchester "plays" the old Paris in this film. Especially all the cathedral bits.

It's 5 minutes on the train from Southampton to the airport and 10 minutes from Winchester. Don't be early. The airport is only a large shed. Once you've been to Costa and WHSmiths you will be bored. It's about 20 steps from the train station to the airport and there are 2-4 trains per hour depending on the time.

If you've come to look down upon and laugh at us for being so "quaint" please stay at home. The 15th century that you are searching for was over 500 years ago. Please be respectful.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

Christchurch is nice and on the train route to Southampton.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

Christchurch is not on the train route from London (where the op is coming from) to Southampton. It's after (west of) Southampton.

san diego
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Thinking back on our pub experiences in the British Isles, we have been most entertained in loud "working man" local pubs, rather than quaint antique Middle Ages ambiance tourist pubs.

The cast of characters in your crowded locals pub experience has been fantastic.

Any areas like this come to mind, with affordable nearby lodging?

!!! Thanks again for all your suggestions !!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

Selsey Arms at Billingshurst tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580419-d2460…

seems to meet your requirements (see review of October 4th 1913!). Direct train from Victoria to Southampton stops at Billingshurst then a short taxi ride to the hotel (probably not more than £6-7)! Lots of trains to Billingshurst and lots of trains to Southampton the next day.

Congratulations for moving off the well-trodden tourist track and trying something abit different!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

A review from 1913? That would make history

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

Blimey GG, that's a random suggestion. Nice enough, although I'm not sure Coolham would be my first choice. What if the locals have cheered up a bit ? So instead in West Sussex, I'd suggest Arundel as being a lovely little town with a choice of pubs.

Having watched this thread all day though, I'd actually suggest you go beyond Southampton a little and stay here in the little town of Lymington, which ticks all your boxes : tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southampton ??? Nice small nearby town overnight ???

The requirement was that it should be easily accessible from London and then the next day to Southampton, preferably by train and Billingshurst is on the direct line to both. Lymington is a lot further (and much more expensive) from London, and requires a change to Southampton. Arundel similarly although nearer.

Thanks, Sandy, it was an old review but not that old! And the locals obviously impressed the reviewer.