We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

which is the best way to get to victoria staion from gatwick north terminal? my daughter will be staying in the sofitel in gatwick and will be meeting me in central london for the day then returning to gatwick. would the gatwick express be her best option and can she buy a ticket to victoria and use all day on the underground for getting around london and then back to gatwick at the end of the day. Any info on this, whats her options and prices etc please.

thanks karen

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

No, the Gatwick Express would not be best. It is the most expensive, and in this case expensive is not best :) The trains operated by Southern are cheaper and take just a few minutes longer. I believe tickets valid only on First Capital Connect are cheaper again. Whether your daughter takes the Southern train or an FCC train depends on where she needs to get to, as they go to different stations.

She'll need a One-Day Travelcard, which will include the return trip to London.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

thanks for your reply just checked prices on national rail and the cheapest fare for the date and times i seached for is £15.10 return without travelcard and £15.80 with travelcard, what does with and without travelcard mean sorry for my ignorance.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

Without travelcard is just a ticket from Gatwick to the London terminal and back

With travelcard means that you can also use the tube, buses, etc in London for the day, included in the cost

Edited: 25 May 2014, 21:40
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

thanks for your reply. Can you give me information on purchasing ticket at Gatwick so she can get the best possible price for her needs. She 's not sure what time she'll be traveling (it will be offpeak) she wants a return including travelcard for travel around London but don't know what time she wants to return to Gatwick. What ticket should she ask for and how much will it cost, I'm guessing it will be more than booking in advance online?

Thanks Karen

Cambridge, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

An off-peak day return with travelcard should be correct:

southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/…

It allows you to travel out off-peak and return at any time that day.

Super off-peak tickets may also be available for less at some times, but they require that you do not return during peak times either, and if your daughter is unsure when she will be returning then this may not be desirable.

Sunny Sussex
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

I'd recommend getting a travel card, it just gives your daughter a bit more flexibility in London and means she can travel by tube or bus without having to worry about paying any extra fares.

You can buy travel cards at the ticket machines inside Gatwick Airport and at Gatwick Station - there are also ticket desks there.

A free monorail service (operates every few minutes) runs from the North Terminal to the SouthTerminal, where the station is situated.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

<,I'm guessing it will be more than booking in advance online?>>

Same price on the day

Ask for a one day southern travelcard - it will cost £15.80

Better to buy it from the ticket office - the machines can be confusing when there's a wide choice of tickets and you aren't really sure what you want

Edited: 28 May 2014, 09:51
Sunny Sussex
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

I agree with dzug1, the queues are quite long at the machines, and although there are people around to help you with the machines and your ticket selection, it is confusing and you can feel under pressure to make your purchase quickly.

I like to use the ticket office.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

I would get your daughter to purchase an Off Peak First Capital Connect-only One Day Travelcard, which is the cheapest option at £13.50. FCC trains run into London Bridge (most of the time), Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon and St. Pancras.

>>Super off-peak tickets may also be available for less at some times, but they require that you do not return during peak times either, and if your daughter is unsure when she will be returning then this may not be desirable.<<

Super Off Peak tickets on that route are only available at weekends, and on FCC only.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from gatwick airport to victoria and return

Another vote for ticket office, i buy at a ticket machine once or twice a week and the array of options can be really confusing and I know what I want !

Just have her ask for a "one day southern travelcard for London please" and then make sure she gets on a southern train at the platform and not get on the first London bound train that comes along.