We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

We will be flying into London Heathrow on a Sunday am in early August, landing around 10 am.

We want to get to Liverpool as quickly as possible.

What are our best options at the most reasonable cost?

We will be returning to London on Tuesday, and staying in London the rest of the week.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Len

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

Rather than travel to central London, look to flying to Manchester and travelling on to Liverpool from there (then taking the train on your return the following Tuesday). It's a journey of about an hour from Manchester Airport station to Liverpool Lime Street plus about 45 minutes in flight. The alternative is to travel on the Underground an hour to Euston then two and a half hours to Liverpool.

Please let us know the time of day and the date your flight arrives in London as well as the airline with which you've booked.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,821 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

Fly to Manchester either directly (if you are flying from Charlotte there appear to be direct flights) or by adding a connection from Heathrow to Manchester onto your existing flight booking.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

Your best option would have been to start by not flying somewhere that's 200 miles away from where you want to go.

You'll probably have to amend your ticket (probably mega bucks, if possible) or buy an off peak train ticket from London to Liverpool (fairly pricy) because matching up an incoming flight to the cheapest train ticket means use it or lose it so either you leave a big chunk of time between arrival and train (which is therefore slow) or you spend a lot on a train ticket that lets you take any time train.

Really this is one of those "well I wouldn't start from here" questions.

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

I haven't booked anything yet.

That's why I'm here, to get advice.

Non stop flights from Charlotte to the UK are out of sight price wise.

I have to go from Charlotte to Newark to London.

I thought that the most cost effective way to get to Liverpool would be a train from London.

After a few days in Liverpool we are going back to London until the end of the week.

Based upon that, do you have any other suggestions?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

Once again, please let us know your dates of travel and the time your flight from EWR will arrive at Heathrow. Let us know as well if your flight from the States will be operated by US or by AA as only with that can we ascertain the cost (and potential time needed between arrival and departure) of flights to MAN.

The details do matter in this situation.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

I haven't booked anything yet.

----------

"We will be flying into London Heathrow on a Sunday am in early August, landing around 10 am."

It doesn't read that way does it? Hence the comments.

So, "ideally" you'd fly into Manchester and back from London, using the multi city option on an airlines website. You could also look at flying to/ from Manchester or to/from London, what appeared to be what you'd already booked.

Problem with that latter is the extra time to get to Liverpool, and there appeared to be some urgency in your first post getting to Liverpool, but perhaps there isn't, and second issue, hooking up with a cheaper train ticket. You could buy an unrestricted ticket where time doesn't matter but those are the most expensive. For example, fixed train time, use it or lose it £30, any time £80. Perhaps, given the air fare differences you mention doesn't don't quantify, that is relatively trivial?

Next issue is, there are engineering works on some Sundays in August which will affect train times. Last issue, cheaper tickets are only released about 12 weeks in advance which means not all of August is covered yet. So, that's at least two reasons why dates are important.

If you have an event you need to get to that Sunday you'd probably be better off flying on the Saturday, otherwise if it's much cheaper and the £50 difference trivial compared with air fares and timing isn't that crucial, then fly into Heathrow, 1 hour for immigration, 1 hour tube to London, 2 1/2 hour train to Liverpool. Probably about 5 to 6 hours elapsed. You'll have to trade that off against either a direct flight to Manchester ( from where it's an easy 1 hour train to Liverpool) or perhaps a flight where you change in the US but still fly into Manchester, or the same but change at Heathrow.

There are also flights into Birmingham UK from where its simpler to get a train to Liverpool.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,596 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

< I have to go from Charlotte to Newark to London. >

United fly direct EWR to Manchester - and US Airways direct CLT to MAN, you could also fly via PHL to MAN, or AA via ORD, United via IAD, Delta via ATL

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

"I haven't booked anything yet."

Phew!

Book an Open Jaw ticket, that's CLT to MAN on the outbound, and LHR to CLT on the return. Open jaws are priced as round trips, not one way, and you book them using the multi-city option on the airlines' search engines.

Manchester is served by American/US Airways from JFK, ORD, PHL and (seasonal) CLT, United from EWR and IAD, and Delta from ATL. You may also book these flights from the airlines' European joint venture partners as code shares so look on their websites for fares (British Airways for AA/US, Lufthansa for UA, and Virgin Atlantic for DL).

There is then no need to book any advance rail tickets (which would be useless if your flight were late and you missed the train). Manchester Airport to Liverpool Lime Street costs £14.50 on e way and you can buy tickets at the airport station. There's and hourly direct service taking 1hr04, and another hourly service taking 1hr25 with a change at Manchester Piccadilly.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,821 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

"I haven't booked anything yet.

That's why I'm here, to get advice.

Non stop flights from Charlotte to the UK are out of sight price wise.

I have to go from Charlotte to Newark to London"

If you are planning to change in the US anyway, even less reason to end up at an airport so far away and so inconvenient for where you want to go.

Fly to Manchester (or, as Joe says, Birmingham). Both of those are (a) much closer to Liverpool (b) will probably take less time to get out of the airport (c) have train stations right at the airport, not another hours travel away like Heathrow and (d) less cost buying a fully flexible train ticket then London to Liverpool where you have to spend a lot more on a flexible ticket or allow a lot more time as a cushion against delays.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,050 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need info please.....train London to Liverpool and return

Uh oh - on most Sundays in August the London to Liverpool train service will be severely disrupted due to major engineering work at Watford Junction.

Even more reason to fly to Manchester (or Birmingham) You can get the train one-way to London on the Tuesday.