We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you do with your passport?

antioch
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
What do you do with your passport?

Having never traveled out of the U.S. do you leave your passport in your hotel room? what if there is no room safe? I wouldn't think you'd carry it on you when out and about?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,356 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: What do you do with your passport?

To be honest I am quite surprised at the amount of posters who say they would not use room safes. Even more surprised that folks are suggesting that trying to hide your most important document somewhere in your luggage and/or hotel room is a good idea.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: What do you do with your passport?

#41 - I was in a well known chain hotel and the lock on the safe in my room malfunctioned and would not open. I called the front desk and they sent up somebody who had the safe open using a master over ride code in 5 seconds flat.

That is why I would never use the in room safe for anything important or of value

Edited: 28 May 2014, 05:52
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: What do you do with your passport?

I wouldn't leave my passport lying around for all to see. If I don't have it on me, I leave it in the hotel safe in my travel wallet. Some of the cheaper places I've stayed, wrap the lot in several layers of paper, put umpteen rows of sticky tape around it then get my to write my name in several places. When I've gone to collect it, it was always intact. The best was a place near KSR which had a separate room kept locked at all times and you needed two keys to access your deposit box - you own plus a staff member comes with you with their key. I've only travelled around SEA and China though and even in $10 a night places have never had a problem.

Some countries make the decision easy for you though - you have to carry your passport with you at all times. I wear cargo pants because they have plenty of pockets and one pocket is used just for my passport.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 09:01
44. Re: What do you do with your passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:16