We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

I'm an American visiting London for the first time. I'm thinking of wearing a fascinator to tea at the Ritz. Is this a faux pas or will a fascinator be appropriate? I don't mind standing out but not in a tacky- tourist sort of way. Thanks!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

Is it a tacky fascinator? Most people won't be wearing them, but if you want to then go for it. People wear all kinds of things in London - it's just about having the confidence to carry it off. If you are worried google 'tea at the ritz london' or similar and look at images.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

Are they not compulsory?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,715 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

I'd have thought so.

Pinkies up.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,273 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

I think it's assumed most people having tea at the Ritz are tourists. You won't need to wear a fascinator or anything else to make that point. I first had tea at the Ritz more than 45 years ago and although there were some English people there then, the ones I could hear talking were complaining about "the bloody Americans." So I assume the Brits have by now thrown up their arms in despair and gone elsewhere.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

It's not necessary to wear one, or to wear any sort of head covering, just as it is not necessary for you to wear a mantilla inside Westminster Cathedral, but nor would it be inappropriate. It is a matter of personal preference.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

Sure why not? There are people dressed up wearing fascinators and hats all over the place. If someone is attending an event caling for that type of dress then they don't normally change before heading to dinner or even pub especially during royal ascot week.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

Hi, I have had tea at the Ritz quite a few times and have also stayed there and have never seen anyone with a hat or a fascinator having tea, I think you would feel out of place but you could always take it off if you feel uncomfortable.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,647 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

By having tea at the Ritz, you have already declared that you are a tourist so you might as well have fun with your dress.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,311 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

At the age of 32 women are supposed to turn into their mothers, adopting their attitudes and sayings. Included among these are 'you can now wear a coat and do up the buttons when you go out in the evening', 'stop saying 'cool' and 'I'm loving it' ', and 'fascinator? Do you really think so?'.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tea at the Ritz London- fascinator yes or no?

I've never understood this fascination with fascinators. If you want to wear a nice hat, go for it. If not, that's fine too. But I just don't get the idea that exotic bird road kill chic can possibly be the way forward.

Sorry.

Mike