We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Soho Hotel (Soho) or St Martins Lane (Leicester Square)?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
The Soho Hotel (Soho) or St Martins Lane (Leicester Square)?

Hi,

I'm indecisive about which hotel to choose! My mum and I are staying in London together (I'm a 25 y/o female).

We are looking at staying at either The Soho Hotel in Soho or St Martins Lane Hotel near Leicester Square. Both are roughly the same price.

Both have great reviews on tripadvisor but I've heard different reviews from people I know as some have said Soho is disgusting but some have said it's great, and the same with Leicester Square (some say it's great but some say it's not what it used to be)! We'd like to stay somewhere central, walking distance to good things and easy to get around to see the tourist attractions. We're in London for 3 nights.

Please help!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Soho Hotel (Soho) or St Martins Lane (Leicester Square)?

Both locations are fine (and only a short walk apart). They are busy all day and much of the night, of course.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,865 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Soho Hotel (Soho) or St Martins Lane (Leicester Square)?

The Soho hotel is in a quieter bit of Soho, the St Martin's is on the very busy St Martin's Lane although rooms away from the road shouldn;t be a problem. In any case the Soho is the significantly better.

Soho (and the bit the hotel is in ) is the centre of much of London's film and TV industry , with some smaller fringe theatre, comedy clubs and bars/restauarants and a bit away from the slightly seedy sex area which is in any case pretty tame. Or lame, depending on point of view.

The St Martin's isn't on Leicester Square - it''s maybe very slightly nearer than the Soho.

As mentioned on your previous threads you will not be able to walk to everything anyway. Either is well placed for public transport

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Soho Hotel (Soho) or St Martins Lane (Leicester Square)?

It would be the Soho for me.

The Soho Hotel is in a quiet cul de sac off Dean Street, I haven't noticed any sleaze around there.

The Pierre Victoire Bistro in Dean Street is my favourite French Restaurant .

Hastings
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Soho Hotel (Soho) or St Martins Lane (Leicester Square)?

I have stayed at the Soho Hotel several times and can't recommend it highly enough, if funds allowed it would be my choice of hotel in :London.

Love the place.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Soho Hotel (Soho) or St Martins Lane (Leicester Square)?

I must have walked past the St Martin's Lane Hotel hundreds of times, possibly getting into the thousands, and have never noticed it! I can't comment on it as a hotel, but I would say that the location is ever so slightly better than the Soho location. St Martin's lane is home to several theatres, including London's de facto second opera house, the London Coliseum. It's just minutes on foot from the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery. Covent Garden is a leisurely 5 minutes away.

I have eaten at the Soho a couple of times. If the restaurant is anything to go by then I'd say it bodes well, despite an awful rice pudding. If it's the case that the Soho is a better hotel I would say it makes sense to go for it. If both hotels were of exactly the same quality I would opt for St Martin's Lane.

Don't pay any attention to anyone who describes Soho as disgusting. The last vestiges of the former sex industry are still there to be seen, but it won't cause you any trouble.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,971 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Soho Hotel (Soho) or St Martins Lane (Leicester Square)?

Both are well located. Were it me, I'd book the Soho.

Come and enjoy.

7. Re: The Soho Hotel (Soho) or St Martins Lane (Leicester Square)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 06:16