We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to get from Heathrow to West Finchley?

Helsinki, Finland
2 posts
Save Topic
What is the best way to get from Heathrow to West Finchley?

Hi!

Does anybody know what is the best way to get from Heathrow to our hotel (Comfort Hotel Finchley, 3 Leisure Way, High Road)?? Tube Map looks scary, but I think I'll survive if I get some advice!

AND how much it'll cost?

Edited: 28 May 2014, 07:16
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to get from Heathrow to West Finchley?

The simplest way is to get the Piccadilly Line to Arnos Grove tube station (£5.70) and a 385 bus to Leisure Way (£2.40). It will take 1hr 40 minutes according to TfL's journey planner. There are several other ways involving at least one additional change which might shave a couple of minutes (and no more) off the journey time

Those fares would be cheaper with Oyster and would be included in an appropriate travelcard.

If you are staying there with a view to visiting central London, think again, It's a minimum 45 minute bus/tube journey to get anywhere useful. It's not so much the cost (which would be the same with an off peak travelcard) as the time it takes out of your day

Edited: 28 May 2014, 08:04
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Helsinki, Finland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to get from Heathrow to West Finchley?

Thank you. Now it's a bit too late to think again, because we are arriving tomorrow! But I hope that our holiday will be successful in spite of bad location of our hotel.

How about if I want to travel using the tube only? And walk if needed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,461 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to get from Heathrow to West Finchley?

Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Leicester square, then change to Northern Line (North Bound) to West Finchley.

Mentioned in this post
Leicester Square
Leicester Square
1,532 Reviews
London, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,314 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to get from Heathrow to West Finchley?

The problem is, the Comfort Hotel is some distance from West Finchley Station (another reason why it is a bad location for tourists wanting to visit Central London) and may be difficult to find as you don't know the area.

If you get the bus as outlined (it's actually the 382 rather than the 385, you want the bus heading towards Mill Hill East and not the Southgate bus) at least the Leisure Way stop will be announced.

Alternatively, you can take the Northern Line route as outlined in post #3 but get off instead at East Finchley. Outside the station take bus 263 heading towards Barnet, which will take you to the Leisure Way stop in about ten minutes. The 263/Northern line combination will be your best route to and from Central London during your stay. Note that you must take a Barnet branch train (one heading to High Barnet or Mill Hill East) and not an Edgware branch one.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 14:27
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to get from Heathrow to West Finchley?

The last paragraph in Wirewipers answer is what I would do and as he says that will be your regular route to and from your hotel to get to the tourist sites on your visit each day.

Once you get into the routine it will be fine.

6. Re: What is the best way to get from Heathrow to West Finchley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:16