We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-4-1

india
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
2-4-1

Dear Experts If I buy an online tkt from National Rail for my day of arrival, from one of the stations nearest to London say Queensworth to London and a second tkt from London to Liverpool after 5 days, then would these two tkts make me eligible for 2-4-1 discounts.

Regards

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
California
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-4-1

No, online tickets don't qualify for the 2 for 1 offers. But, you can buy underground travelcards (or regular train tickets) at a National Rail ticket office and those will qualify you for the offers. You need to buy TWO tickets though, not just one.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-4-1

What do you mean from "National Rail"? If you mean from the National Rail Enquires website, then don't actually sell tickets, merely redirect you to the relevant train company that will. These ARE valid for the 2-for-1s as they are standard National Rail train tickets.

I'm not sure about the particular ticket combination you mention though, and there is no such station as "Queensworth"

>>No, online tickets don't qualify for the 2 for 1 offers.<<

Wrong, as I've outlined above.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-4-1

Lot easier to buy 7 day Travelcards at a train station then you aren't wasting money on a ticket you won't use.

Read the threads under "top questions about London" at the top of this page

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-4-1

You can buy a ticket on-line to Liverpool, and that will qualify for the 2-4-1.

However, if you buy an on-line Travelcard for use in London prior to you trip to Liverpool, this will *not* qualify--it will be sold on Tfl stock.

Please red the articles under top questions, upper right, this page about the Travelcard.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-4-1

I think the OP is asking whether two singles in and out of London on different days will qualify for 2-4-1 on the intermediate days. I think the answer may be no, but I'm not sure.

india
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-4-1

Dear all thanks for your insightful comments/ answers to my naive questions. There still are few unresolved doubts, however I am sure they too shall be resolved in coming days with our repeated interactions. I have full faith in TA community.

1. There doesnt seem to be a consensus whether online train tkts qualify for 2-4-1 discounts. So whats the final word on it ??

2. I have thoroughly gone thru the Top Qs abt London and in the 2-4-1 Question it says that if One has two single tkts ,one into and one out of London, the traveller can use 2-4-1 disc in the intermediate days. In my case I wont have a tkt into London as will travel to central London via Tube from Heathrow but will have a tkt out of London to Liverpool, so can I show this tkt and ask for the Discount ??

3.The Top Q and all of u also tell that a paper Travel card is valid for 2-4-1. My doubt regd this is

i) Can this PaperTC be bought in Tube station or has to b bought in Overground Train station

ii) Oyster card has to b touched to the sensor in tube/ bus. What does one do with the paper card - show it to conductor or do we touch that too to the sensor

Hope my loongish queries do not irritate you.

Regards

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-4-1

< 1. There doesnt seem to be a consensus whether online train tkts qualify for 2-4-1 discounts. So whats the final word on it ?? >

You can't buy Travelcards online that would qualify for the offers, you can buy train tickets online via the Train Operating Companies and their agents that do qualify.

< i) Can this PaperTC be bought in Tube station or has to b bought in Overground Train station >

It can't be bought in either. It has to be bought at a National Rail ticket office - Overground stations & Tube stations are run by Transport for London and not the train companies

As for a paper Travelcard - you show it to bus drivers, you put in through the slot in the barriers for Tube stations

india
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-4-1

Thanks Alanrow. Things are slowly making sense as always.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-4-1

If by on line ticket you mean e-ticket (ie print at home and the like) they are generally not valid for 2 for 1 though there is the odd exception

10. Re: 2-4-1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:17