We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great River Race

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Great River Race

I discovered that this race will be going on during my September visit and I am wondering how popular an event this is and what effect it might have on public transport (mainly bus), size of crowds, etc. Will all the major attractions, such as the British Museum, have more visitors due to more people visiting for the weekend? Thanks for any suggestions.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great River Race

I have to admit I'd never heard of it before, let alone ever been inconvenienced. So from purely personal experience I'd say no. Looks fun to watch if you're into boats though.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great River Race

London is busy full stop. This event won't have any direct impact on tourism although some bridges and paths along the river will be busier than usual and it's possible some bus routes might have some minor delays.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great River Race

It's been running for 26 years and I've never heard of it before, despite having lived in London throughout all of that time. That would suggest to me that it probably won't have a huge impact on your visit (unlike the London Marathon). However, it would probably be a good idea, if you are not interested in seeing the race, to find something to do which takes you away from the riverbanks. The British Museum, for example, is far enough from the river that you probably will have no idea what is going on on the Thames. For that matter, I suspect that you could probably go to the National Gallery, which is much closer to the river, and still not have any idea. But perhaps don't schedule a day in Greenwich, or a day walking along the river, for that day.

London
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great River Race

Actually a day walking along the river on that day is a lovely idea. The race takes place over 26 miles so the riverbank is never crowded, so there is something surreal when you walk along it and see a New Zealand war canoe or a Viking ship sail by. Lots of them fly flags of all nations so you can cheer on any US flags that you see.

But no, it is never crowded. I've got a nagging feeling that something else special is happening on that weekend, but I could be mistaken.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
34 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great River Race

Where is a good place to watch it - is there some kind of fair at start or end?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great River Race

GoldstarSteve,

For more information, take a look at their website: http://www.greatriverrace.co.uk

I've not attended, so can't provide any further information than what's included on that.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great River Race

Looking at the gallery and searching for crowds in the background, it doesn't seem necessary to pack your sandwiches and take a stool

www.ricksoreny.co.uk/sports.php#/…

Edited: 12 September 2014, 17:26
8. Re: Great River Race

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2015, 05:15