We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

We will be staying in Hythe for a few weeks in July. We would like to come to London a few times during our trip and are trying to figure out the best way to get there. We’ll have a car to get around Hythe and the nearby areas.\

We’ve looked at the train from Southampton to London. It looks like the easiest option, but seems like it will be at least £40 per person. We found that price on nationalrail.co.uk; if there is a better/cheaper place to look we would love to know. We are guessing we will also have to pay for parking at Southampton Central. We’re hoping to find a cheaper way to get to London without it being a GIANT hassle.

We have also looked at driving and parking outside of the congestion zone of London. We have found parking at the Q-Park Queensway for £26 for 24 hours of parking. That is a lot cheaper than £40 per person, but we’re not sure if there are any tolls or fees before we would get to the Q-Park. Do you think this would be a good option?

Finally, we have considered driving into London. We’re afraid that with the congestion charge and paying for parking this will be very expensive. We’re also worried it will be a hassle to drive in the city. From what we have read and heard from others this does not seem like a good idea, but I thought I would mention it in case someone here has a different opinion.

So far we are thinking parking outside of the congestion zone (either at Q-Park or somewhere else, if you have a better suggestion) will be the most economical way without being too big of a hassle, but we wanted to check with people who might have a better idea. Thank you so much!

London
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

How many is we? If it's 3 or more, you can shave a third off the rail fare with Groupsave. There are also very cheap fares through Megatrain, but these are usually at unsocial times, and have zero flexibility so may not be suitable.

The traffic in SE England is always busy. Taking the train will be a lot less stress (and quicker) than driving.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

You could pre-book on the Megabus site which offers cut-price train travel from Southampton to London and back but from personal experience I have found that the times of the trains you can use are often not convenient. Also, you have to catch the train you have booked on - miss it and you have a worthless piece of paper in your hand.

http://uk.megabus.com/

An alternative is to go by National Express Coach from Southampton to London's Victoria Coach station.

www.nationalexpress.com Look under Offers and select Find our lowest fares. If booked in advance a return should be about £11 per person. .

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

We is 2 :) I will check out Megatrain to see if it will work for us. I will also look at Megabus and National Express. When I looked at National Express for London to Southampton all I saw was a fare for £44! I will look again and use the "lowest fares" option. Thank you!

Edited: 30 May 2014, 08:03
London
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

This might be a silly question, but why are you considering catching a train from Southampton when you are staying in Hythe?

I can suggest suitable "park and rides" from Hythe if you'd like.

London
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

If you're planning multiple trips, buy a "network railcard". It costs £30, but will take a third off the off peak fare. It wouldn't pay back on a single trip, but as you suggest you want to do multiple trips, you should save.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

If you decide to drive to London I suggest that you park in Richmond, Getting there would be an easy journey up the M3.

There is a carpark on the Right just over Twickenham Bridge and a multi storey Carpark at the Station (24 Hours £18.20), free parking at Ranelagh Drive next to the Thames on the left before Twickenham Bridge.

Overground Trains from Richmond to Waterloo are fast with the fastest taking about 15 Minutes with one stop.

http://goo.gl/qkwSNW

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

We sometimes use the Old Deer Park car park in Richmond …parkopedia.co.uk/parking/… when needing to get into London either by Underground or Train.

Spaces are usually available though we do have the advantage of a Disabled parking card

UK
Level Contributor
6,526 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

Don't forget to factor in the cost of fuel, should you decide to drive anywhere. Much more expensive here than in the USA!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

Hythe is miles away from Southampton. Why on earth would you take a train from Southampton? I'd drive to Folkestone West station, where parking is £4.70 per day, and take a train from there. You can either get a High Speed 1 train, or a standard commuter service, which will be cheaper.

www.southeasternrailway.co.uk

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Southampton to London (have a car)?

Currently the area around Southampton Central station is a maze of roadworks (don't follow your satnav! Road layout has changed) and half the car park is full of construction machinery. Therefore I would recommend driving to Southampton Airport Parkway station, 10 minutes away) which has a lot more parking available. I don't know if you can get megatrain tickets from there. You could always park at the airport then get a train to Central and join the fixed time service for megatrain there if megatrain tickets are not issued from the airport.

Another option is to purchase a network rail card or two together card. These cards give you 1/3 off most train tickets. But this will only be useful if you are making several more train journeys in the UK.