We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National history museum

midlands england
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
National history museum

Hi talking a 70 year old who is working through his 'bucket list'. 1st is it best to go via taxi or underground from euston once we get off our train as an easier way to get there .

What are a must see at museum if he is not able to get all way round. Thanks

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: National history museum

The museum is always busy, and you may need to queue to get through a security check at the entrance. Note that the entrance in Exhibition Road, at the eastern side of the museum, has much shorter queues than the main entrance and often none. This was the Geological Museum entrance before the two museums merged. There is a very good section there on volcanoes and earthquakes (go up the long escalator "into the centre of the Earth").

Edited: 30 May 2014, 22:59
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: National history museum

If this is a special visit and you are worried he won't get all the way round then to me it makes more sense to get a taxi there and save his energy for the museum.

Definitely take a good look at the website before you go; as you may know NHM used to be two separate museums and is still split into Life (main entrance on Cromwell Road) and Earth (Exhibition Road entrance) sides joined by a link gallery. The Life galleries are better known (dinosaurs, whale etc), but we tend to spend quite a while on the Earth side which has a lot of information about how the earth was formed and on earthquakes, volcanoes etc including a mock-up of a supermarket during the Kobe earthquake.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 23:14
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: National history museum

I agree with Sarah about the taxi. It is a good 10 minute walk from the platform to the NHM if he walks slowly and steps to get back up to the pavement level. The carriages can be very busy too.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,526 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: National history museum

I absolutely love Natural History, but the main thing I remember about my one day visit is the amazing building, just delight in being there, soak it in, dont worry about seeing it all, just being there is what counts.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,683 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: National history museum

You could go straight for a coffee with the plan of the museum to plot you route, so getting a rest after the journey without making a point of it.

Or plan it from the online map and factor in the stop for coffee/tea.

My experience with my Grandmother was that she could long outpace me when it was something she was really interested in but barely manage a half hour when she wasn't ;-)

16. Re: National history museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:17