We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

Daughter studying abroad in Paris begins her return to the States on June 4 in the early evening. She wants to spend a few days in London before flying back. She is staying at a hotel near Heathrow. She will be interested in visiting museums around London and probably trying to get a glimpse of something royal. I would be ever so grateful for recommendations and information about best travel options, both to travel from Paris to London/Heathrow then around London from Heathrow, departing Heathrow June 9. I have been looking at the Brit Rail passes, Eurostar, Easyjet, Megabus, Oyster card, etc and am confused by what is included with which and what is going to be useful for my daughter. She will have two heavy suitcases with her traveling from Paris so wont be interested in anything too strenuous for that leg of the trip. On the other hand, I'm not looking to fly her first class with a porter! Any suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

If she's arriving at St. Pancras and wants to see London attractions for a few days, it would be a lot more convenient to stay in a hotel in that area rather than way out near Heathrow. She will spend a lot of extra time going back and forth to central London.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

British Airways has a few flights on the evening of the 4th for $250. All the Eurostar trains after 17:00 are sold out though. It's generally cheapest to book the Eurostar as far in advance as possible anyways. Megabus is cheaper, but I believe Paris to London is an 8-10 hour journey. Flying is probably your best bet at this point.

In terms of travel in London, I've always found that the Oyster card works out to be the most convenient. You can get Oyster cards at most tube stations and London Overground stations, and there are Oyster Ticket Stops around London as well (newsagents, etc). Alternatively, you can use single and return tickets, or day Travelcards.

Hope this helps!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

Ditto what MChiddy said. Even if flying into Heathrow, it might be more convenient to stay in central London. There's the travel time between Heathrow and London and it adds up money-wise as well. You also get a much better feel for London staying right in it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

If she flies into Heathrow and stays in central London (which would be best), perhaps have her check at least one bag at the airport. heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/s…

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

Thanks so much to all of you!

Unfortunately, the Heathrow hotel is a given we have to work with. She figured she wouldn't mind taking the metro around as long as her bags were somewhere (at her hotel) and it would simplify when she departs out of Heathrow.

Any thoughts about any of the Brit passes that appear to include Eurostar? Are there any discount passes that would reduce the cost of the train from Paris?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

TexScott-cant believe there are airports anywhere that still store baggage....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

How early can she be at the Eurostar station in Paris? $153 for departures at 11:43; 12:43; 14:43 and 15:13.

$193 at 16:13 and $266 at 17:13.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

She will have two heavy suitcases with her traveling from Paris so wont be interested in anything too strenuous for that leg of the trip.

And probably an overnight/ hand bag too. You can't be walking from St Pancras station to Kings Cross with that kind of luggage. She will need to fly to Heathrow, get a trolley for her bags and get a taxi to her hotel. Or you might have to spring for that Porter after all! I'm sure she has been doing her own research too so as long as you get the Paris- London leg booked now all will be well. I hope her hotel is near a tube station. All the best.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

Thanks, Tex, for digging for me. She won't be able to get to plane or train station in Paris until 5:30 or so.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need recommendation to travel from Paris to London next week

Yes, Pedro, she will definitely have a handbag and computer/overnight bag in addition to her heavy suitcases so manual connections from Paris to London wont work..

What is the tube? Does it cost more or less than metro or buses to central London? She figures she will take the long travel time in to central London to plan her day each day.