We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

Hi everyone

First time in London. Have a dual purpose visit to visit some UK universities for work purposes and holiday the week after. Have read through many posts but the itineraries don't have the details I am seeking.

Staying in Premier Inn Southwark Modern Tate and Chiltern (buckinghamshire)

What is the best way to visit the following UK uni

Warwick

Sussex

Birmingham

Liverpool

Hull 

Also want to visit the following with 9 year old daughter (will go from premier inn Southwark London to visit the below)

Big ben, house of parliament, westminster abbey

Buckingham palace

Museums in Kensington area science and natural history

Harrods and Hamlets toy store

British museum 

Questions

If by tube, could you let me know roughly whether it is better to go from Southwark or Chiltern to the universities? Could you let me know what trains I could take and how best to get to the university tour and "tour with daughter"? I need the know roughly the stations and whether I need to take a connecting bus or walk.

Thank you TA advisers in advance! Sorry about all the questions and thanking you in advance for your time

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

What does your university visits entail? Going inside, taking to people? Looking at from outside? Do you have specific times you need to be at them? Are you meeting someone at them? How long will you be at each? Does a week mean 7 days or as it's work, is it Monday to Friday ?

You'll need to take trains, the tube is London only, but without the information above no one can advise, but as you have one university a day (over a working week), and it takes time to travel and some are hundreds of miles apart, it doesn't need detailed knowledge to know there's a problem here and that visiting those unis in one week will be almost impossible, you will spend every day travelling and have very little time at them.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,928 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

So, you have one week (work) to visit five Universities, with your daughter in tow? A day for each University. I will say it cant be done from a London base.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

OMG I realised after reading fuchsias post I missed the fact you have booked accom in Buckinghamshire for your working week as a base to visit those places!

Well that simplifies it, it's impossible. Probably impossible from a London base also, unless a visit consists of a five minute look at from the outside but that doesn't really qualify as work purposes I'd have thought.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 08:27
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

Well, Sussex could be done as a day trip by train to Brighton, from London.

Warwick and Birmingham are near ish to each other.

Liverpool and Hull create some difficulties, but there is a train line that connects the two.

You would be better travelling about and taking a night's accommodation in each city, I would have thought (exception of Sussex)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

Imagine someone saying they are flying into Hong Kong for a week as a base to visit universities in Ghangzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu? Not a good idea. Might need to pack up and move every few days to make the visits worthwhile. More research need bugsy12 and keep referring to google maps for ideas on distances and how long it takes to travel between cities.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

Hi everyone - thank you for the super prompt feedback! I will be travelling one week for work and one week for London sightseeing with my daughter.

I didn't realize the universities were so spread out (geography was never my strongest subject!) I am assuming that going from Buckinghamshire to the universities seems a better choice given the feedback (as opposed to going from London).

Can you let me know which station I would need to stop at for the universities? It seems like I would need to stay a night at each city?

Thank you again !

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

Hi everyone - thank you for the super prompt feedback! I will be travelling 8 days for the uni visits.

I didn't realize the universities were so spread out (geography was never my strongest subject!)

I am assuming that going from Buckinghamshire to the universities seems a better choice given the feedback (as opposed to going from London). And that it is near impossible to do all of this in a week...

I have ranked the uni according to priority. Can you let me know which station I would need to stop at for the universities? It seems like I would need to stay a night at each city.

Thank you again !

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

I am assuming that going from Buckinghamshire to the universities seems a better choice given the feedback (as opposed to going from London).

------

Errrr, what is it about "Well that simplifies it, it's impossible" In post 3 that's hard to understand? :-)

Please answer the questions I asked in post 1, even staying overnight and travelling around the country from uni to uni rather than going back to a central point, it may literally be impossible to accomplish whatever mysterious task it is you have to do at each university, unless a 5 minute look from the outside counts as "for work purposes".

Edited: 31 May 2014, 09:36
9. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 February 2016, 15:10
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary to UK uni- pls help

Just to reiterate, unless people know what time you need to arrive at the universities and how long you need to be there, your question is not possible to usefully answer.