We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

I only have a few days in London so I'd like to schedule my visits to the tower of London and Westminster Abby in advance if possible. How would I purchase tickets in advance and hopefully also good tours for the visits?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

You can buy tickets online at the Tower of London website. They're good for a week, I think. I've never done it though. I've also never waited more than 20 min to get in. I've never even waited that long at Westminster Abbey. Last time I was there I waited about 10 min (I think) but most of that was listening to a school group leader arguing that the students shouldn't have to have a chaperone when they went in. No idea if you can get tix in advance for WA.

The Yeoman Warder tour at the Tower is excellent and included in admission. The Verger tour at WA is also excellent. I think it was £3 a couple of years ago, but a recent trip report might have said £5. It's probably on their website.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

Get eto the ticket line at the Tower perhaps 15 mn. before it opens and you'll avoid crowds. Then go straight to see the Crown Jewels, avoiding crowds. Later you can take a tour with one of the Beefeaters (warders)

Edited: 01 June 2014, 01:21
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

Yes, go to the Tower before it opens, and then straight to the Crown Jewels. After that, you will wait with everyone else for the Warder tour, but really, it is not Disneyland. You won't wait long. I have visited the Tower of London many times--longest wait to but tickets was about 20 minutes.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

Oh, yes. I always forget about the crown jewels. The time we waited 20 min to get in (which was maybe 11 or 12, I think), the line was huge for the crown jewels, but we only went there on our first visit and haven't been back on any subsequent visits.

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

I purchased my Tower tickets on line they arrived in the mail in approx a week (Canada). As other mention go at opening and straight to the jewels . You cannot purchase Abbey tickets in advance but I arrived at opening time and there was approx. 25 minute wait to get in and then promptly got a Verger tour ticket once inside for the 10:00 tour. Highly recommend the Verger tour it was excellent.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

As you can see, generally "the early bird gets the worm." It seems like a lot of tourists have difficulty getting going in the morning...plus tour bus groups, for sure. 11 am or 12 noon will be crowded.

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

Thank you everyone. I will do the early strategy for sure! Much appreciated.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

One line you'll encounter at the Tower of London is the one for security/bag search. Buying your ticket in advance won't permit you to avoid this.

9. Re: Tower of London and Westminster Abby - avoid lines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 06:15