We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation advice for 2 couples

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
250 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
transportation advice for 2 couples

We are a group of 4 adults travelling to London in October. We will be arriving at Heathrow and staying at Russell Square for 7 full days beyond the day of arrival, coming in around 2 pm. I have read as much as I can about the Oyster cards and travel cards, including the 2-4-1 option. We will be seeing the usual tourist sites in London and are also planning day trips to Windsor and Greenwich (as well as Liverpool). Regarding the attractions covered in the 2-4-1, the only ones I can foresee pertaining to us will be the Tower of London and Churchill War Rooms. According to Rick Steves “London” guide, a group of 4 will actually do better taxiing most everywhere within London, except during rush hour.

SO… can anyone please help guide me on what sort of travel cards we should purchase once we get there, or in advance? I am inclined to keep things very simple and just do the Oyster card PAYG option. We will be more interested in saving time than money, unless the savings are substantial. (“Substantial” to me=around 15%) The overall cost of the trip is already up there anyway.

Thank you very much for any help!!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

>> According to Rick Steves “London” guide, a group of 4 will actually do better taxiing most everywhere within London, except during rush hour.<<

Ah, Mr. Steeves, the travel industry's biggest joker.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

Is it cheaper to use a cab?

Let's say the 4 of you hop in a cab at Russell square and go to the Tower of London. With tip, it would be £15. Is it faster than the tube? It may not be at rush hour. The tube doesn't hit traffic, by the way, although many people may want to use it.

Back to the Tower of London. You haven't purchased National Rail Travelcards, as you'll be taking a taxi everywhere. So your total entry is £22 x 4=£88. Total cost with taxi, almost £100. Not including the other taxi rides you'll take everywhere else that day.

Now let's take it the National Rail Travelcard way. 4 off peak Travelcards cost £8.90 for zone 1-2. Now you can use the tube and buses all day with your Travelcard. You take the tube to the Tower of London. You pay 2 admission fares for four people, or £44. Total cost is £79.60, including unlimited transportation within zone 1-2, where most attractions are.

Most people on this forum have a real grudge against R. Steves. There are quite a few mistakes in his guidebooks, and much of his advice is very unhelpful or outdated.

Do yourself a favor and get a guidebook that people in London actually use and rely on--DK Eyewitness Travel London, or Lonely Planet.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 20:23
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

Here's another 2-4-1 offer, as you are going to Windsor Castle...

www.daysoutguide.co.uk/windsor-castle-by-bike

And there are 3 2-4-1 offers for Greenwich.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 20:26
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,038 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

Nice try but no, taxis everywhere is beyond daft. The odd one, maybe after a night out at the theatre (some also on the 2for1) and/or dinner or to and from a rail station with luggage, fine, but not for general transport. And what happens if you want to split up and do different things/at different times. You're not all joined at the hip presumably?

Even if you only do 2-3 things on the 2for1's you should have saved the cost of the travelcard and be able to get around a huge area quickly and easily.

Also if you want to do day trips you will still need transport to and from stations for Liverpool/Windsor, though personally I think 3 days out is quite a lot out of 8 (incl arrival/deaprture days which are virtually null anyway).

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

Get a new guide book.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

Steves will have his little practical jokes.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,324 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

You say you want to save time. Are you aware that its been calculated, despite the congestion charge, traffic in central London moves at just 10mph - the same speed as horse-drawn carriages a century ago?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

Four 2-4-1 offers in Liverpool.

Are you sure you've done your homework?

www.daysoutguide.co.uk/search.aspx…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
250 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

Well obviously if I trusted Rick Steves completely I wouldn't have asked the question. And also quite obviously I am still doing my homework, that is why I am on Tripadvisor!

Thanks for alerting me to Greenwich, we can use one of the activities but sadly none of the Liverpool options.

Sorry for even mentioning R.Steves, will never do that again on this forum. Had no idea I would be making so many enemies. My sincerest apologies. Used his book for Spain and it seemed to be very helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion of the other guide books.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation advice for 2 couples

Don't take it too hard. I think R. Steves errs more in London than else, if this forum is any indication. Members here have seen many posters over the years dealing with faulty advice, and our frustration is with him, not you.

I hope you have a great time. Please feel free to post a draft of your itinerary--members here would be happy to suggest other, related sites or attractions, or help you group your days geographically, so you aren't zig zagging all over London.