We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
5 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

We are granparents traveling this summer to London with our two 9 year old grandsons. Am Marriott Gold and have Marriott points to use and have the choice of a Marriott Bexleyheath or Marriott Twickenham. Wondering if we are going to use all of our travel dollars on getting into London for the 5 days from either of these. I am not familiar with options for discounts on public transportation around London, so would be grateful for any help! Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

Both areas are in zone 5 so assume cost would be the same just different sides of London.

Don't know twickenham area at all but from Bexleyheath Marriott you would either need to get a bus or cab (probably cheaper to get a cab as would be minimum fare (just under £5) as bus fare for 4 of you would be similar money) to local train station (Bexleyheath or Bexley). Trains take about 30 mins into London Bridge and 40 mins into charing cross. Always travel after 9.30am for cheapest fares and always use Oyster cards each! Cheapest and easiest way to travel round London.

Bexleyheath Marriott is within walking distance of a shopping centre. Not a designer shopping centre but has shops/cinema/restaurants on your doorstep.

Hopefully someone will come along with info on Twickenham.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

" but from Bexleyheath Marriott you would either need to get a bus or cab (probably cheaper to get a cab as would be minimum fare (just under £5) as bus fare for 4 of you would be similar money) to local train station (Bexleyheath or Bexley). " That it is not completely correct, and illogical given the advice to use Oyster cards to travel around London (to be precise, you don't travel using just an Oyster card: you travel using either a travelcard or PAYG cash or a combination thereof loaded on an Oyster card, or you use paper travelcards obtained from a national rail station, which you may wish to consider anyway to take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer). The point is that regardless of your choice from the options above, it will cover the journey from the hotel to the station, as well as travel into central London. Of the two stations mentioned, I would say that Bexley has the edge because there are bus services leaving from a stop across the road to the hotel that pass Bexley station - and stop outside the hotel in the other direction. There are bus routes that serve Bexleyheath station, but these involve a change of bus.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

You would not spend megabucks in getting into London. Of the two areas, I would prefer Twickenham, but I don't know the exact location of the hotel. Twickenham and Richmond are very pleasant Thames-side towns; the main disadvantage being the noise from planes landing at LHR

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

"That it is not completely correct, and illogical given the advice to use Oyster cards to travel around London"

Thats why i said "probably" ..... im not claiming to be an expert i'm only offering my personal opinion!

How much would it be for 2 adults and 2 children to get a bus or two to the station then? I was thinking easier (and for similar money, but please correct me if i'm wrong) for two grandparents and their grandchildren who are going to be going backwards and forwards to London, a cab door to door would be less stressful for them to start and end the journey for 5 days ....... thats going to be a full on week!

Bexley station is in Zone 6 so will be more expensive too than travelling from Bexleyheath station!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

The Twickenham Marriott is near the Rugby ground so I would not recommend a stay on an event Day unless you are interested.

Trains go to Waterloo (about 20-30 Minutes) and in the other direction, to Kew Bridge for Kew Gardens, Windsor and Reading.

Twickenham is a nice suburb with quite a few Restaurants, Richmond is worth exploring too.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

Wouldn't recommend either for a stay IN London, but if you have to choose one I would go for the Twickenham one

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

Are there any more central hotels available, even with using more points?

You will doubtless find the journey into and back from central London extremely tiresome - it will add up to two hours to your travelling day and you won't be in a position to head back to the hotel for a rest or to drop bags, something to take into account with a pair of young children.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

I wouldn't really recommend either of them, but if you have to choose one or the other I would, without hesitation, go for Twickenham. At least at Twickenham you are a short walk from the river, and fairly close to a number of interesting places, such as Eel Pie Island, Orleans House and Gardens, Marble Hill House, Ham House and Gardens, Richmond Park, Syon House and Park, Kew Gardens, Chiswick House and Park, Hogarth's House, Hampton Court Palace, Bushy Park, and Strawberry Hill House, to name just the ones that come to mind. As far as I am aware, there is nothing like this of such interest in the Bexleyheath area.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

By the way, I tend to agree with Loughtonian, without being in a position to do exact calculations, that the travelling expense probably won't be the decisive factor. Especially travelling with two 9-year-olds you are probably going to want to use quite a lot of public transport to get around central London, rather than walking everywhere. I see that average room cost for Twickenham is £80, which is very cheap. I don't know how this translates into points. But the more central Marriot hotels seem to cost hundreds more, so over a period of 5 days you will not be paying hundreds more in travel: you would have the expense of travel in central London anyway, which is the main expense, and you would probably, if you stayed in central London, want to go out to somewhere like Kew, Hampton Court, or Windsor, which further cancels out some of the cost. I think for the travel costs to outweigh the hotel savings you would have to be staying a very long way out.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,584 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bexleyheath or Twickenham?

< I think for the travel costs to outweigh the hotel savings >

Costs in money AND time. If you are staying somewhere that means it's a 90 minute roundtrip to central London then you are losing significant time in London especially if you return to your hotel to clean up / deposit purchases / have a lie down