We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day travelcard at Stansted train station

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
7 day travelcard at Stansted train station

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about 7 day travelcard, I saw a lot of topics about that is this forum but I'm still confused, so here is what I understand so far :

7 day travelcards can be purchased on any underground and trail station, they can be issued on paper or on an Oyster card. for this latter, I'll be paying a refundable £5 and maybe a photo (!!?). I am arriving at Stansted Airport, so I can buy an Oyster Card with 7 day travelcard (zone 1-3) on it at Stansted train station, is that correct ?

Can I use this travelcard on the Stansted Express from Stansted station to Liverpool street station ?

Can I buy this Oyster Card with 7 day travel card online and collect it on Stansted train station ?

Thanks.

RH.

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day travelcard at Stansted train station

No - wrong on just about all counts

Stansted Airport is outside the Oyster zone. You can neither buy nor use an Oyster card there.

You may be able to buy a paper 7 day travelcard there - for which you will need a photo. You stand a high chance of not getting what you want though - they will try to sell you a season ticket to London at £126

If you do get the right ticket you will still need another ticket to get to the zones that you have paid for

Best bet is to get yourself to London and buy your travelcard or Oyster there

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day travelcard at Stansted train station

So I will not buy nothing at Stansted Airoport, I already purchased Stansted Express to Liverpool Street Station online, so I will buy the Oyster Card with 7 travelcard on it (zone 1-3 costing £36.80) in Liverpool street station.

One last thing, I have a tight schedule that morning, does it take long to get this card ? taking in count queuing and process time !

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool Street Station
Liverpool Street Station
294 Reviews
London, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day travelcard at Stansted train station

Can I buy this Oyster Card with 7 day travel card online and collect it on Liverpool street station ?

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day travelcard at Stansted train station

On line - no.

Queues at Liverpool St are generally manageable but I should allow 20 minutes. If you want a National Rail Travelcard (for 2for 1), you must come equipped with your photocard . Not necessary for Oyster.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day travelcard at Stansted train station

How much time do you have before you leave? If over a month, and you're going to be pushed for time when you arrive, you can buy a 7 day travelcard at the link below, and have it posted to your address. With those, you won't need a photocard.

visitbritainshop.com/world/travel-transport/…

Only thing is, because they aren't national rail, they won't work with 2for1 attractions, if that bothers you.

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day travelcard at Stansted train station

Thanks Loughtonian, omearatho. 20 min sounds good for me.

I'll be in London for 9 days, so I'm planning to get a 7 day Travelcard on Oyster (because I might visit beyond zone 3 so I'll need the Osyter card to be able to pay the extension fare, I hope I'm getting this right) and then maybe get 2 "1 day" Travelcard (not sure if there is a better option).

I have already visited visitbritainshop.com but unfortunately they do not delivery to my country, I would have loved to buy it online and pick it up in London as I will do for the London Pass.

I won't be needing 2for1 offer as I'm travelling solo.

7. Re: 7 day travelcard at Stansted train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:16