We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets to Brighton

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Heraklion, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train tickets to Brighton

Thank you all for the valuable information on this forum.

During our family trip (kids 7 and 10 years old) to London we are planning a daytrip to Brighton. The best option for a ticket for the four of us (e.g on Monday August the 4th) is a First Capital connect off peak saver return at 40.75 GBP. It is not an advance ticket (we don’t want to be restricted to specific trains) so can anyone please tell me it the above price is only for buying online or I can also buy the ticket at this price at the station when we arrive to London a few days before the travel date? Could off peak tickets to Brighton be sold out during the high season?

Since our hotel is near London Bridge station I have chosen this as a starting point but will the ticket be for boarding at this specific station only? I mean what if we decide to have a stroll before our trip and board from another station that this train stops at (e.g Blacfriars). Can we do that? So I guess the actual question is should we bother buying the ticket now or just buy before we board the train?

Thank you in advance!

Mary

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

Just buy on the day at whatever station you decide to start from. It will be the same price as in advance.

Commuter trains (such as this one) cannot sell out.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

I know you'll be in the London Bridge area, but you may be better off getting your ticket via Southern in order to take advantage of its 'kids for £2' fares, some of which can be used on FCC. One adult off-peak ticket allows both kids to travel for £2. Details, including eligibility on FCC trains, here:

southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/…

FCC offers a similar fare deal on some services, too.

Heraklion, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

Thanks for the suggestion theartgirl!

You are right it’s cheaper this way total 34.55 GBP.

So how do I buy this ticket from the station? I suppose each operator has its own ticket selling office?

Do you know if there is a Southern ticket office at London Bridge station?

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

London Bridge station is undergoing a massive construction programme - effectively rebuilding the station whilst it is still being used. I think that (temporarily) the ticket office has closed, and only machines are available.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

Different train operators do NOT have different ticket desks. Just go to the station and follow the massive signs that say TICKETS.

Oxford, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

Better than that, if you spot any ticket inspector, just ask if you can buy from him. Voila, he'll show his ticket machine and print your ticket on the spot!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

"London Bridge station is undergoing a massive construction programme - effectively rebuilding the station whilst it is still being used. I think that (temporarily) the ticket office has closed, and only machines are available."

There IS a fully manned ticket office at London Bridge. It is immediately outside the main entrance to the station (next to the Shard) that serves the terminus platforms.

nationalrail.co.uk/SME/…o2314-0011227.jpg

nationalrail.co.uk/SME/…o2314-0011214.jpg

nationalrail.co.uk/SME/…

Edited: 03 June 2014, 20:06
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

"Better than that, if you spot any ticket inspector, just ask if you can buy from him. Voila, he'll show his ticket machine and print your ticket on the spot!"

If you mean a ticket inspector on the train, that is nonsense. You must have a valid ticket in order to board the train. No ticket, and the inspector will charge you a penalty fare in addition to the ticket you should have purchased in the first place.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 20:08
Oxford, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

Nope. Sorry, I'm afraid I am not that stupid, nor ignorant. Contrary to your belief, I found out about that after jumping out from London Bridge commuter line with zone 1-3 ticket and panicking to catch a new train to Hever due in 10 minutes. Way out of my zone 3.

On my way from inside station to ticket machine outside, just before barrier out, I asked where the nearest ticket machine was with the inspector. Instead of showing me where he just asked where I wanted to go and started typing my ticket.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train tickets to Brighton

^^^^^ So that's not an inspector on a train then (which is why inserted that caveat in my post). You bought the ticket from someone at the station (the ticket barrier).