We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shakespeare Globe Theater

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Shakespeare Globe Theater

Hello- we will be visiting London in August. My daughter is currently studying Shakespeare in school so we thought it might be fun to go see a show at this theater. I was wondering if I should purchase beforehand or just see if it fits in to our schedule when we are there- does anyone know if these tickets are hard to get or would we have luck purchasing them while we are there?

Also- recommendations on the tour of the theatre?

Thanks in advance!

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

Last year or thereabouts I went to see Henry V at the Globe. I just arrived an hour or so before the start time, got tickets, went next door for lunch at Pizza Express. Not sure whether or not this is the norm. I wasn't really that worried about getting the tickets or not as I had only travelled 15 mins on the train and was only seeing the play on a whim anyway. If I had travelled, at considerable expense, nearly 3,300 miles and had had my heart set on seeing a play at Shakespeare's Globe and then been disappointed to find that there were no tickets I may have wished that I had booked ahead. Just taking a look at the Globe website now for productions currently booking. Most dates have availability, some have limited availability, and a few are sold out. If you are in London for a longish period and don't mind what you see you can probably take a chance. If you have a shortish visit and want to see something specific maybe not.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

Yes purchase them in advance, especially if you want to sit down. I needed last minute tickets and was able to secure them, but only at the top level, so we were looking practically straight down at the top of the actors' heads. Last minute tickets for standees are more easily available, but there is NO sitting on the ground, and you can be rained on as well.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

>>Last year or thereabouts I went to see Henry V at the Globe<<

If that was the production with Jamie Parker it was 2012.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

How time flies...

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,509 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

I believe you can usually get groundling (standing) tickets on the day, but I have seen long lines. I have always bought ahead, and a lot of the popular shows do sell out. I wouldn't want to stand for a whole play, so I would buy in advance.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

>>How time flies...<<

That was actually the first play I saw at the Globe; and I was there on opening night! Have seen quite a few since then.

>> I wouldn't want to stand for a whole play, so I would buy in advance.<<

I've always baulked at standing, so I've always booked a seat, considering Globe plays last for ~3 hours! Also, the weather can make it very stressful for groundings, not just because of the rain, but because of the sun too! I was at a play in the middle of a hot sunny day once, and I saw several people who had to be removed because they had fainted! They stopped the play at one point.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 10:05
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,509 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

Yes, I forgot to mention that booking a seat also gets you a roof. They also rent seat backs and seat cushions for not too much money.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
137 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

We are visiting London in May and I tried to go to the Globe Theatre website and book tickets Merchant of Venice for the 26, 27, or 29th of May and they are all sold out. Is this real? Is there some other place we can get sitting tickets for the show?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

# 8

26 and 27 May is showing some availability. How much - I haven't gone further than this page:

https:/…

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
137 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shakespeare Globe Theater

Thanks Kennydon,

Yes it does, but when you try to book it offers only 1 single seat for each day. LOL.

I managed to get tickets via Love Theatre (by paying premium of about GBP12.50 per ticket) for the 2pm show on Saturday.

Given that we are travelling from India, and our son is studying Shakespeare it is still a lot cheaper and faster than making a trip to Stafford-upon-Avon.

Thanks for your help.