We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*3 days only stay in London - female solo*

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
*3 days only stay in London - female solo*

Hello everyone!

I am very fortunate to travel with my company on business for 8 days to London but I will be working all of that time with not much time to explore. I have extended my trip another 3 days so I can enjoy London without the business side! It has been a life long dream to go to London and will complete one check mark off my top 20 bucket list however I need some help if possible because its a short short time!

My company has me staying in London City and I thought for the 3 days I would move my accomodations to more Central London where I can stay at a hotel near sites but also make it easier to be able to hop onto a tour quickly or just be closer to where people meet for tours.

I had planned on a free day to have afternoon tea at The Ritz London and go to local places (another 8 year dream about to happen of having afternoon tea) but wanted to see if you can help with suggestions of the "location".

Which area would be best as I will during those 3 days be alone.

The idea is to go around by foot - Harrods, Local sites, Maybe Victoria & Albert Museum, Flea Market perhaps or local market, any local history of course (Tudor, Royals, Authors) but also to be able to walk to a place where I can meet others for various different tours where they pick people up. I am assuming all meet at one location. Even if its walking a mile that is ok. Just nearby etc.

Perhaps grab a quick bite in the area. 3 days are short but I need to make it work because its a priceless extension of my business trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have any hotel recommondations 3-4 star it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

*This is for a June 2014 visit*

Bushey, England
Level Contributor
317 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

I wouldn't bother moving hotel if you're in the City. Yes, all around the City is quiet at the weekends but I don't think it's a big deal. If you're beside Bank station then you have the Central Line and Northern Line to access the rest of the city. Getting from Bank to the likes of Oxford Circus is roughly 10 minutes.

Whereabouts is your hotel? Also, knowing when your free days are can be useful. Are they at the weekend?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

Depending on where you've been booked to stay in 'London City' there may be no need to move hotels to be 'more Central London' as the City is hardly outer space. If you plan to travel this month, you will find hotel rates high and availability limited; as well, why spend any time moving house (as it were) instead of sightseeing.

Tea at the Ritz may be booked up for your dates - they stretch the bounds of 'afternoon tea' in any event by offering a sitting at 1930, hardly the time for afternoon tea. You may find other more amenable options elsewhere.

You will need to use transport in London, whether the Underground or buses or other modes. If your place of work will not be near your hotel you will need to use transport for those eight days too. Please let us know your dates of travel and the hotel you've been booked to stay for your business trip. If you really must move, please let us know your budget in pounds (no other currency) and your date of return to New York, presumably flying from Heathrow rather than London City Airport.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,954 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

The Apex Temple Court would be a good City compromise.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

Hello. Can I just check that by "London City" you do mean "City of London" or "Square Mile"? If that is indeed what you mean I probably wouldn't bother with the hassle of packing up, checking out, taking your luggage a mile or two across town, and checking into another hotel. The City of London is a perfectly good place to stay. I would prefer somewhere like Soho or Covent Garden, but if you are in the City already I would stay put.

It occurs to me that you may actually mean that you are staying at London City Hotel, 200 Borough High Street, London SE1 1JX. This is not, in my opinion, a particularly good location, though nor is it particularly bad. Some attractions are within walking distance and Borough tube station is on your doorstep.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

Thank you so much for your help.

I am told I am near the Old Street Tube.

I guess I was figuring for tours I would have to meet at a central location somewhere else so I thought I needed to be closer.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

I am staying at Holiday Inn Express Old Street

I am told its called London City?

I apologize if I am not saying it properly.

Believe me I am going to learn before I arrive!

Oregon
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

I was recently in London for two weeks. I would stay at your present hotel if possible as the bus system is very easy to use. Bus #76 will take you to St. Paul's Cathedral where you can catch any number of buses to the major sites such as bus #11 to Westminster Abbey.

In our two weeks, we only used a taxi once and never needed to use the tube.

Bushey, England
Level Contributor
317 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

The City or more correctly The City of London, is a district within London that has its own police, lord mayor and (to a lesser degree) laws. Basically it encompasses the financial district in London (not including Canary Wharf). It's been swallowed up by London and asides from maps, the only obvious way to spot entering/exiting the City is the dragon statues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

I'd be inclined not to move from that hotel. On Google Street Map, the outside will look somewhat drab but you're bang in the middle of trendy East London (Hoxton, Shoreditch, etc). The nightlife around here is full of students, hipsters, etc and has a very urban feel to it.

You're beside Old Street tube station so can get the Northern Line on to the rest of the city. All around Bank station will be quiet at weekends, so don't bother with that. You could spend the day out in the West End, or doing tourist stuff, and then return to your hotel, freshen up, and then go out and about in Hoxton, Shoreditch drinking. Your London work colleagues will probably be able to help further on that.

Depending on when your free days are, there's some interesting things to do around East London. Eg Sunday has the Columbia Road Flower Market. Also, you can get the Northern Line down to Borough for the Borough (mainly food) market. There's also the Jack the Ripper tours in Whitechapel.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

Aha. Well it seems that the confusion stems from the fact that the hotel is called "Holiday Inn Express London - City". If you look at the Holiday Inn Express website you see that the hotels are called "London - Mayfair", "London - Southwark", "London - Victoria", etc. So London is the city in which the hotel is located and City, Mayfair, Southwark, Victoria, etc, are the smaller localities within London where each specific hotel is located. I'm afraid they are being rather dishonest in how they name this hotel, as it is not in fact in the City of London, but in the London Borough of Hackney. This is not as good a location as I had been expecting. On the other hand, it's not too bad either. I know that when people come on here looking for advice about centrally located accommodation within this sort of price range a common recommendation is the Travelodge at 10 Drury Lane, London WC2B 5RE (London Covent Garden). But plenty of people do stay in the HIExpress at Old Street and I am sure that they have a perfectly good stay there.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: *3 days only stay in London - female solo*

I would stay put at the Holiday Inn; much more relaxing not to have to pack everything up again and move, and it's not a bad location at all. From a transport point of view it's a great one actually, and however much you enjoy walking you will need to use public transport a bit. Do take a look at the London Walks website - www.walks.com. They organise some really interesting tours and you'll meet other people. No need to prebook either (you just turn up and pay at the designated meeting place) so you can just not go if you're tired or it's pouring with rain.