We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
119 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

I wanted to take the tube into London (Blackfriars area), but my husband doesn't want to hassle and wants to take a cab. Are there things I should watch out for not to get ripped off? I think I read to use the black minicabs. How much should a fare be from LHR to Blackfriars approximately. This will be Sunday mid-morning.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,386 Reviews
from US$126.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,144 Reviews
from US$128.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
539 Reviews
from US$113.80*
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

Black cabs in London aren't known for ripping off their customers. But it is cheaper to book a car service. See here: https:/…edit

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

What's your definition of "ripped off".

If you mean defrauded, very unlikely.

If you mean, pay much more than you would if you prebooked a car service, almost certain.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
774 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

Take the tube as it will be a lot less hassle than you think. Piccadilly line to Hammersmith and then District line to Blackfriars. Journey time 54 minutes. Changing trains is just a hop across the platform with the District Line using the outer pair of tracks. Don't know how much a taxi would cost but it would be considerably more than using the tube with a journey time not much quicker. You travelling on an expense account?

Mentioned in this post
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
114 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
839 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

Yes tube definitely cheaper and less hassle than you think.

Black cabs are traditional London taxis that can be hailed in the street when they have their For Hire sign lit up, they always use a meter and are strictly regulated with drivers having to undergo a 'knowledge' test before they can get their licence.

Minicabs are different, they are private hire cars and it is illegal for them to tout for business on the streets i.e. you cannot hail them, best way to get one is to go into a minicab office or book one in advance, they are now licenced and should display the relevant sticker on the window. Minicabs are generally cheaper than black cabs but the drivers don not always know the best route especially it is outside their usual area.

Black cab drivers will get very annoyed if you call them minicabs!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Texan (in...
Level Contributor
69 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

I took a cab into the city from Heathrow (did not book ahead) around noon on sunday, when we visited last year. Our driver was very nice, very honest, and even gave us a great tip about where to eat the best pie and mash in Grenwich (he was soooo right!) I believe the ride cost us around 30 euros, maybe a little more.

My advice would be if you are pretty beat after your flight, take a cab. Get one that's waiting there at the curb, ask about how much they think it's going to cost, and you're good to go. If you're not completely drained (as we were), it really is pretty easy to hop on the Tube, BUT you have to know where you're going, so your brain has to be functioning (mine was not after our flight from Seattle!).

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

The Underground journey from Heathrow to Blackfriars is painless. The change at Hammersmith will take 10 seconds to walk from one side of the platform to the other; Blackfriars station has undergone substantial refurbishment, with new escalators from the platform to the ticket hall, which is at street level. About 25 minutes of the 45 minute journey will be at or above ground as well, with more to see than the inside of tunnels. The most two people will pay for the journey is £11.40 but that could reduce to £6 for two to travel.

Black cab drivers do not 'rip off' pax, and booking a minicab / car service in advance will mean a set price which you will pay on arrival. The only potential for villainry is if you accept the offer of a tout in the airport's arrivals hall, which is never recommended. As the TfL advertisements indicate, an unbooked minicab is just a stranger's car.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
114 Reviews
London, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,165 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

As others have said, taxi drivers will not rip you off.

But as you are tourists looking for the sights, he may well point out, as you drive around, famous landmarks, such as the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle...... :-)

Mentioned in this post
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,137 Reviews
London, UK
Windsor Castle
Windsor Castle
10,323 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

" I believe the ride cost us around 30 euros, maybe a little more."

Euros in London?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

" I believe the ride cost us around 30 euros, maybe a little more."

---------

I beleive your memory is off, it wouldn't have cost euros, and in pounds it would above been at least double that.

Level Contributor
3,183 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips on getting a taxi from Heathrow and not get ripped off

One of my favorite memories of our trip was the Black Cab ride between hotels (we switched hotels a few times on our trip) . It was a tour and a ride all in one.

I agree on the car service from the airport. Time is money on vacation and for us with 4 people including kids and too much luggage it honestly was worth the car service. We used Exclusive Airports. While taking the Tube may have been cheaper the service worked for us.

Enjoy your trip.