We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in London

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in London

When on holidays in London, what/how do you eat?

We love a good breakfast buffet to help us through most of the day, then usually a late lunch in a restaurant (could be anything from jacket potatoes to something more posh), but often we are too tired in the evening to go out (and some of the hotels we've stayed at hasn't had restaurants), so we end up buying sandwiches/salads to eat in the hotel room or a nearby park. - maybe eating out in the evening twice in a week!

This November we'll be staying at City Inn, I've got their breakfast-buffet menu, and it looks so good we might not make it further than the restaurant!! LOL

Would like to hear from people who has eaten there...

Kirsten

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,446 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in London

Not eaten at City Inn Westminster but have at City Inn Birmingham several times now and as far as i know they offer the same breakfast at all hotels.

Yes, it is a great buffet with plenty of choice of hot and cold food even for vegetarians. I don't normally eat again til that evening or late afternoon at the earliest but i guess it depends on how much you normally eat!

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in London

LOL!! Well Marcus, I am a devoted foodie.....

Kirsten ;-)

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in London

Come-on peeps, satisfy an old foodie, - what's your eating-style?

Kirsten :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in London

The City Inn is a lovely hotel, although there isn't much evening activty on your door step as its an area full of government offices. I have had a breakfast at the city inn and remember it being nice.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in London

Kirsten: Haven't eaten at the City Inn. Usually I'm so busy when in London, I either go the sandwich route or Pizza Hut buffet or Selfridge's Food Garden Cafe.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in London

Kirsten,

When I am in London I like to eat in places that I don't really have near me. I also tend to eat early, rather than late, so a 8:30pm start is the very latest, unless i am with friends that like to eat later, so then I fit in with them.

Favourite London Restaurants recently:

Alba

Fifteen

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,997 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating in London

Full breakfast keeps me going till 3pm, then it's a bumper bag of Dunkin Donuts, a couple for afternoon tea and the rest saved for a bedtime snack.

Then dinner.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating in London

Thanks - that was better! ;-)

Adam, we don't mind the hotel being in a quiet area, the important things are: Bed, bathroom and breakfast!

Thanks for the inspiration folks - keep 'em coming!

Kirsten

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating in London

Kirsten - I'm not a breakfast person, so I usually just have a breakfast bar (bring them from home) in the morning. I tend to each lunch out around 1ish. The location depends on my itinierary. Some of the tourists spots have nice cafes such as Hampton Court or the Tower. I usually grab a snack around 3/4 - typically some nice bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk!!!! For dinner - it depends. Sometimes I pick up a sandwich at M&S. Other times I will grab dinner at a pub or casual restaurant.

For my trip in November, my hotel (Darlington Hyde Park) has a nice breakfast buffet from what I hear - so I may have to adjust my ways to take advantage of it if they offer it early enough since I like to get up and go early.

Wendi

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating in London

If you're after a nice relaxed evening meal then I'd recommend Tapas Brindisa. Just outside of Borough market.

If you're staying at Westminster then a southbank walk would get you there and the tube would take you home.

Or stop there for lunch if you're there at that time of day.

Or if you've had your fill during the day and just want to go out for a drink I used to like going to the Royal Festival Hall. They have a high level bar you can look out over the Thames. V nice as light is falling (Though not sure the work their is complete yet)

An alternative may be the Oxo Tower. Though on current understanding the 2nd floor restaurant is better for eating though still has a view. Only try Oxo itself for drinks!