We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

Our family of four (18 year old son, 15 year old daughter), will be spending 2 days in Edinburgh in late June. We have an option of staying one more night in Edinburgh and taking the train straight back to London to catch our flight home, or breaking the trip up and spending that last night either somewhere in between (on the train route) or back in London. Considering Oxford as a stop, open to other ideas. Kids are likely to be a little jaded on history and castles by then. Any suggestions?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

York is very scenic, a nice city to walk around and some nice pubs.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

York, surely! Or just possibly newcastle-on-Tyne or Durham

Oxford a non starter as it's nowhere near the railway line betwen Edinburgh and London

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

York, on the London to Edinburgh route.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

York.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

Only other advice I could give would be instead of travelling from Edinburgh go across to Glasgow, 35 minutes by train from Waverley station, and get the train to London via Lancaster (old scenic town) or Manchester (pretty good for shopping)

Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

Hi!

As much as I love York and Durham, if you've been cultured-out then I would suggest heading back to London, river boat trip, London Eye, National Gallery, or the Tate, take in a show; end your holiday on a high note.

Colin

Edited: 07 June 2014, 14:38
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,300 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

I'd say York but if they're fed up of history and castles somewhere like Newcastle or Manchester or even an extra day in Edinburgh may be more suitable. No need to get the train to Glasgow in order to catch a train to Manchester, there's many direct ones a day from Edinburgh that go via Lancaster!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

I'd suggest staying an extra night in Edinburgh and get a flight from EDI to connect with your flight from London, rather than sitting on a train for 5 hours

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I think we might stay an extra night in Edinburgh and fly back down. York sounds exactly like something my husband and I would love, but the kids will likely roll their eyes at. Will keep you all posted.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended overnight stop between Edinburgh and London?

Be very careful of flying down to Heathrow on the same day as your return flight to the US, if you have separate tickets.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c207311/Newton…

I'd also rather be in London the night before, rather than relying on a train from say York on the day of my flight, in case something happened to that train ride (delay, cancellation, etc).