We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip, London to Cambridge

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cherry hill, nj
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip, London to Cambridge

My wife and I are interested in hiring a car and driver for a day to drive us to Cambridge and return.

Your recommendations of high quality and reliable tour services would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

JAR

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

Why do you think you need a car and driver for a day trip? That would be expensive, and a bit pointless tbh. Direct trains leave from King's Cross. Journey time < 50 minutes.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

Cambridge, like many British cities, is not best seen or entered by car.

Easiest and quickest way to get there to/from London is by train (with the added benefit or going the opposite way to morning and evening commuter traffic) and by far the best way to see the city is on foot (with probably somekind of boat trip involved at some point).

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

Get a train from Kings Cross Station to Cambridge - fast trains are every half hour. You can get a taxi into the centre of town if you want (otherwise it is a 20 minute walk).

No point hiring a driver as cars (other than local taxis and buses) are banned in the centre of Cambridge.

england
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

agree with all the above. Trains are fast and frequent and a car is a liability in Cambridge. It's a short walk to the station or you can easily get a taxi once you are there. Spend some of the money you save on a punt trip e.g www.scudamores.com/traditional-punt-tours

Edited: 07 June 2014, 18:01
Cambridge
Level Contributor
24 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

I agree with the other posts that by far the most practical way to visit Cambridge is by train from King's Cross. Cambridge is not a car friendly city. On arrival, a good way to see the city is to use one of the hop on, hop off tour buses which also provide a commentary - I believe that it goes from the station, around the colleges and also to the American Cemetery. The best use of a chauffeur would be to get a chauffeured punt along the backs of the colleges - just magical.

Hope you have a great time

London
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

They have first class carriages on this train service, in case you'd like to avoid the riff raff!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

>>They have first class carriages on this train service, in case you'd like to avoid the riff raff!<<

They don't have First Class carriages. They have First Class sections of standard carriages, which are hardly any different from Standard Class, and I don't think there's any separation either. FC is a complete waste of money for this journey, unless one has money to burn.

London
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

My comment was tongue in cheek. I've never traveled in first class before, but I thought they might have money to burn if they were considering a car service for this trip!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

Get the train, get a taxi from outside the Station down to the City Centre if you don't fancy the bus. Don't bother with the hop on hop off tourist bus as its banned from the main part of the City.

england
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip, London to Cambridge

first class has wider, more comfortable seats even if it just a section of a second class coach. However I wouldn't book first class on that route when going against the flow as in the unlikely event that it's busy you can do an osborne theguardian.com/politics/2012/oct/19/george-…