We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best package...

Level Contributor
451 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Best package...

I KNOW many of you will think I am insane but I have 1.5 days to show my daughter as much as possible, without TOTALLY ripping our hair out... We are staying at the Hilton Tower Bridge. Arriving there on Thursday about lunch time. Plan is to go to Tower Bridge to see that then maybe a Thames cruise. Honestly from there going to "wing it" and see what to do later that night.

Friday I want to get the Hop on Hop off tour, go via London Eye, stop take pictures of Big Ben, go to Buckingham Palace (not for tour just pictures) go to Harrods, keep going on "Blue route" and all depending on time MAYBE stop off at other things like Marble Arch etc...

So my questions... I see SO many "Package deals" I am honestly confused at this point. Is there a good reliable site to use to buy tickets? Do I NEED to buy them in advance, is there any benefit such as cheaper price or no lines etc... same question for London Eye, I see I CAN buy them no on line, due to our schedule I wont buy a specific time but they have one for that DAY... again is that save me "waiting in lines" or am I going to wait anyway?

Finally is anyone familiar with the Blue route Hop on Hop off route? I can see last tour is 17:00 etc BUT I can not find how long it takes... I understand you can tell me how long with stops etc but assuming you never got off at a stop does anyone have an idea it takes for the full loop? This will give me an idea if this is even remotely possible or if I need to rethink things. thanks so much in advance for any help...

Tower Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Observation Decks & Towers
Millennium Bridge
Scenic Walking Areas, Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,037 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best package...

With limited time I would skip the hop on hop off tour. Buses are infrequent (the tours are about two and a half hours if one stays on the bus for a complete loop) and the tickets are pricey; with Travelcards in hand you may create your own tour and move at a quicker pace.

Buy nothing in advance. One day off peak Travelcards will cost £8.90 and be good for unlimited use on all modes of transport in zones 1 - 6 and will offer a small discount on a river cruise as well. The RV1 will take you from Tooley Street (London Bridge station area) to Tower Hill and to the London Eye tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…london-bridge.pdf tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…tower-of-london-a4-130713.pdf and tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…county-hall-a4-290314.pdf and from County Hall you may walk across Westminster Bridge to the Palace of Westminster for a photo stop. If you don't want to walk through St James's Park to Buckingham Palace you may take a bus along Victoria Street as well: tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…westminster-a4-290314.pdf

If you're determined to go to Harrods then the 14, 74 or 414 from Hyde Park Corner will take you to the shop's main entrance: tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…hydeparkcorner-a4.pdf The number 10 from Knightsbridge will take you back to Marble Arch: tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…knightsbridge-a4-081212.pdf

The 15 to and from Tower Hill via the Aldwych will take you along Fleet Street and past St Paul's; the number 11 from Westminster is handy too: tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…aldwych-a4-310314.pdf tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…charing-cross.pdf and tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…st-pauls-mansion-house.pdf

That is a fair number of spider maps to go over, but with a bit of homework you'll find you can make your way with London's red buses (plus or minus the Underground) to create your own tour and see as much as you can in the short time you have.

Level Contributor
451 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best package...

Wow, thank you so much! Yes I will have to do a bit of planing lol, but this is great, thank you very much for taking the time to post all the maps etc. Very much appreciated... Now who do I speak to, to make sure it doesn't rain on the day we plan to do all this? lol.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
424 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best package...

My daughter & I came to London for the day from Paris in March. We did a private walking tour with Jonnie of Bowl of Chalk. We met outside the Green Park tube station then covered a lot of territory at a nice, leisurely pace (Jermyn St, St James Palace, Buckingham Palace - saw changing of guards marching to the palace close enough to touch the horses, westminster Abbey (outside), Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Horse Guards & Trafalgar Square). I purchased advance tix to go on the Eye (flex tix so we could go at any time that day) - we were very happy we did as we skipped the line. Afterward we went to Harrods (the only thing I regret - underwhelming & not worth it for such a brief trip). I'm going back next spring with my younger daughter, but we will spend 5 1/2 days in London, so I'll use my brief overview from this spring to orient me next year. ENJOY!

4. Re: Best package...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 06:17