We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Pubs?

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Pubs?

Does anyone know the names of any CHEAP PUBS in london?

the more the better.

preferably not tourist traps, although im sure they would not be cheap.

My friend an I are heading there from aug 23-26 and we hear there are places that offer "1 POUND PINTS"

can someone give me a list of the places that have this?

THANKS!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Pubs?

have you gone to www.fancyapint.com? Each pub is rated and tells you the type of customer (tourist, local, etc). Plus each pub has a nice map, review of the pub and is printable to take with you. You can search by pub name, location, or tube stop.

Wendi

USA
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Pubs?

I don't know of pubs offering beer that cheap. I would avoid them and the drunken louts they would attract.

The Wetherspoons chain has a reputation for cheap food and drinks. http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/ I hope they don't offer a 1 pound pints.

Say, they are not talking about the weight of a pint, are they? A pint's a pound the world around.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Pubs?

Wetherspoons (http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/) are a chain that offer reasonably priced beer and bar meals. They have several locations across London. The pubs tend to be fairly big and rather souless but are clean and all will have a large non-smoking section. I think it has been some time since they offered pints as less than a pound but you will often find real ales such as Greene King IPA, Courage Best and Deuchers at prices less than you would pay at other pubs and they also have meal deals such as a curry and a free drink for £4.49 on one night of the week.

Many pubs used to have a happy hour (for some reason this was never an hour but always two or three!) where drinks were sold at half price but you see this less and less nowadays especially in cities.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Pubs?

Any pub that offers £1 pints is seriously not worth going to.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Pubs?

thanks for help, maybe someone will know of a decent one.

i asked because i had a friend that studied abroad in london for a semester and there was a sports bar that had 1 pnd pints on tuesday nights and he said it was awesome. it might actually have been called 'the sports bar' the problem is that we arent going to be there on a tues night. damn.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Pubs?

Sam Smith's pubs are usually quite cheap (about £1.80 to £2 a beer) although you are limited to just the beers that they brew. Also they tend to be pubs with a bit more character. 3 I can think of:

Princess Louise, Holborn

fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/pub482.html

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, Fleet Street

fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/pub576.html

Citte of York, Holborn

fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/pub134.html

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Pubs?

Hoogo - <A pint's a pound the world around>

In the UK 1 pint = 20 fluid ounces which is a pound and a quarter.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Pubs?

Do you mean this place? http://www.thesportscafe.net/

Most of us London TALFers are more interested in pints of real ale than the bottled pasteruised stuff that these places serve. A bottle of Bud is a bottle of Bud in any language and you could be in any city anywhere in the world.

If you are that desperate to drink cheaply then go to any large supermarket where you can purchase a pack of 36 cans of something cold, fizzy and tasteless for around £25. Otherwise (and please take this in the spirit in which it is meant) please go to the fancyapint website mentioned above, pick a crawl and discover the wonderful world of historic London pubs and decent beer. You will be able to hear yourself talk as well!

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Pubs?

hahahah

i dont want to just get hammered off cheap beer! i want to go out and meet people and visit the local pubs, i was just asking if anyone knew of places like these that werent tourist traps and serving overpriced beers. our american dollar is horrid so any deal is worth knowing about!

i wont be going out to buy cases of cheap stuff. thanks though.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Pubs?

papjomba,

I appreciate the dollar is hurting you at the moment but in fact the places that serve the better beer and have the more interesting clientele are often those that are off the tourist track and therefore a few pence cheaper than the more famous touristy pubs like The Olde Cheshire Cheese and The George Inn, nice as they are.

Let us know where you are staying and we may be able to suggest a couple of "locals" pubs within a short walk of your accommodation.