We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube question

Wigan, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Tube question

Hi there,

I'm travelling from Manchester Picadilly to London Euston on the 3rd of August, and from there I need to get the tube to Tottenham Hale.

The arrival time at Euston and my leaving time to Tottenham Hale is the same - so I was wondering; how strict are they on which train you use? i.e. if my train is for 16:10 and I get the same train at 17:10, is this a problem? What's the likelihood I'll get pulled up on this? The price of the next train is actually higher if this makes a difference - possibly because the "off-peak" period ends.

If this isn't something that's strictly enforced, I would like to stop in London for a bit.

Thanks for any help,

Mark

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube question

Timetables for the Tube on National Rail are nominal times so it doesn't matter when you travel. But why are you booking a train ticket to Tottenham Hale, most people would buy a ticket to London then use Oystercard PAYG / Travelcard within London

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube question

Not quite sure what you are asking with regard to timings. Forgetting about the tube but if you purchase an advance ticket for a certain train from Euston to Wigan then you will not be allowed to catch an earlier or later service and if you decide to miss that train and catch a later one you will have to pay the full walk up price which is probably something like £50 more.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 21:40
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube question

I assume Mark is referring to something that I noticed when I once got a through ticket, though in my case it was from Ipswich to Bristol, which meant I had to take the Tube from Liverpool Street to Paddington. The 'time' given for boarding the Tube was exactly the same as the arrival time of the train from Ipswich, which if taken literally would mean you had no time at all to get down to the Tube station. Of course, it didn't bother me because I knew perfectly well that Tube trains are not given a time in that way. I think it's just the train operator's way of telling you to make for the Tube train on arrival at the mainline station. Absolutely nothing to worry about, Mark. It's the times of the mainline trains that matter.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube question

If you are talking about the train from Manchester to Euston, then if you have an advance ticket you must use the booked train. If you have booked an off peak ticket, then you can use any off peak train that day - but not a peak train/

Chances of detection on the wrong train - high.

If you are referring to Euston to Tottenham Hale then you can use any tube after your arrival at Euston - hours later if you want - but you can't get off the tube and get on again.

The timings on the tube for through journeys from National Rail are nominal - they just allow the recommended journey time, which will be more than the actual journey time to allow for getting to/from the tube plus waiting time plus a bit of contingency

Edited: 08 June 2014, 22:18
Wigan, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube question

Thank you so much for the informative answers! Really helped. I suppose I can hang around in London for a while, the only issue is I need to catch a subsequent train from Tottenham Hale to Stansted. This, presumably is another train where the "on peak", "off peak" rules apply, so I'd probably better get the correct train.

I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on the likely strictness of this journey? I believe it's about a forty minute journey on the North Anglia line or something like that. As it's a somewhat more residential train I expect they're more likely to let my "being on the wrong train" slide? Or perhaps wishful thinking hehe.

London
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube question

What ticket do you have? Is it "Manchester to Euston" or "Manchester to Stansted via London". We need to understand that before we go further.

Wigan, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube question

It's the latter :) Piccadilly > Euston > Tottenham hale > stansted all in one ticket

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube question

The Manchester to Euston bit, if on an Advance ticket will be for a specific train. The tube bit (to Tottenham Hale) will be when you get on it and the Stansted bit will be on the next train after you arrive there. (Advance fares on Stansted Express are for anytime on the date of travel AFAIK).

I don't understand the residential comment. The terms and conditions of your ticket(s) should be on your itinerary somewhere.

Wigan, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube question

I guess I just meant the Manchester > Euston is a direct, cross country train. I find on trains that operate regionally and cater for smaller towns and some airport lines are less automated and rigid - you're less likely to be pulled up on a technicality (such as having the wrong time on your ticket).

Thanks for your help - it would be a big help if the stansted express is all day.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tube question

Not sure what you mean? Cross Country don't operate from or to London. It will be a Virgin service.

Which trains do you have a reservation ticket for? Those are the ones that are compulsory.

However, you are not allowed to break a journey on an Advance ticket, you have to complete it all in one go, so technically you are not allowed to hang around in London. Although I don't think anyone's going to care if you get a train an hour later, because you are allowed a break to use facilities on station premises (that doesn't count as a break of journey).