We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe areas

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safe areas

Can you please give me your opinion of a safe, reasonably priced area of Lodon for an exchange student attending City University?

Thank you.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe areas

Russell079,

im not a resident there, but just love the place.

Is there a reason why the exchange program isnt setting you up with housing?

just an fyi, there are dorm rooms all over london. I have used the near Kings X station and will do so again this Sept.

also, as far as im concerned, safety isnt an issue in London unless you do something stupid.

one thing tho. watch out for the cars from the other direction.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe areas

Clerkenwell is an ideal location for any student at City University. Without knowing when you or the student will be in London, though, it's impossible to suggest anything other than the area. Let us know the dates of the course of study and the budget per week or month the student(s) wish to pay.

england
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe areas

london is still a relatively safe city. However young people can, and do, drink here legally from age 18. Young males, and sometimes females, getting into drunken fights on a night out can be a problem. Staying in student accommodation would probably be wise as they wouldprobably have company on the way back from evenings out. Advice here city.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/accommodation…

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe areas

+1 to Clerkenwell, an interesting, central and safe area. In fact I've no idea why more visitors don't stay there.

Mike

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe areas

'Young males, and sometimes females, getting into drunken fights on a night out can be a problem.'

buzzard, I have only seen that once in twenty years, and that was not in central London. Do tell us where all these drunken fights take place, it sounds more exciting than the places I go to.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 11:44
england
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe areas

don't be ridiculous, Iggyfitz, I'm not going to add to the OPs worries.

Toronto has about 24 homicides each year in the last couple of years, London has had 85. London's population is roughly 8.3 million, Toronto's 2.8million. London is marginally more dangerous but if the student is reasonably sensible they'll suffer nothing worse than a few hangovers and City university will help them find suitable accommodation.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe areas

Thank you to all posters. He is attending the CASS School of Business. He is only there for a three month exchange. Most school related accommodations are leasing for the full school year. I know London is expensive so I am budgeting around $3000. - 3500. Canadian dollars per month for a studio. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

england
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe areas

It's considered polite here to convert your budget into the currency of the country being visited - so pounds in this case.

Some private halls http://www.ish.org.uk/

westminster.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/001…

for views on quality ask here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/

At my university exchange students came for the summer term (semester is not the Engish expression, although used often enough to be understood) and by then there would be drop-outs or people who had moved accommodation. So depending on the time of the visit there may be university accommodation available.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe areas

Oh the evils of the demon drink eh Buzzard.

Forum guidelines prohibit me from saying exactly what I think of your post

Belek, Antalya
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe areas

Well I'll stick up for Buzzard here because my only hospital visit in 35 years involved a drunk person punching me for no reason. This is not a London problem, it's a UK problem, though the vast majority of people go out every weekend without ever experiencing any problems. I would say that drunken violence is definitely not a reason not not come to London, and the drinking situation is probably no different to that of any North American city.