We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

Hello,

I'm looking at booking a train from Edinburgh Waverly station to City Thameslink station, however, it doesn't offer City Thameslink station as an option? Also any suggestions on which website to use?

Finally, is there a code I should be aware of for the fast trains?

Thanks in advance!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

I just checked the National Rail site and trains from Edinburgh to City Thameslink are offered. They show as two changes which in reality means train Edinburgh to Kings Cross, walk (next door) to St. Pancras, and from there a FCC/Thameslink train two stops to City Thameslink.

If you're planning to visit/stay in London you'd probably be better off buying a ticket to Kings Cross and then using either an Oyster card or travelcard for STP to CTK, which could be absorbed into the travelcard or daily cap.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 02:06
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

Depending on your destination from City Thameslink, if it's near Ludgate Circus you could also hop on the number 63 bus from King's Cross. Let us know the date and time you'll travel from Scotland to London and your destination as well, please.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

See your other post. The station is City Thameslink, not London City Thameslink

Edited: 09 June 2014, 07:15
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

nationalrail.co.uk sells tickets from Edinburgh to City Thameslink. This site is a gateway for rail operating companies. To buy the ticket they routed me to eastcoast.uk and they also offered a though ticket. As travellerplus has observed there are also other options for travel. finally, if you have an Oyster card (or plan to get one on arrival) [it is the Smartcard used to pay for most London public transport), that will also be a valid choice. From Kings Cross it may also be better to get the Tube / Underground - there are a number of tube stations in the City that are directly connected.

On fast vs slow trains, they are normally 4hrs 20 min to 4hrs 45 min; the fastest goes at 0540 Mon - Fri and takes 4 hours

Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

Thanks very much!

When reviewing the tube map, I see City Thameslink isn't on it? Is it not a tube station that we could connect with from Kingscross using the Oyster card?

The train from Edinburgh, is the Kingscross station the end of the line? (Just trying to figure out how to know what platform to go to in Edinburgh)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

City Thameslink is not an Underground station and as such is not on the Tube map; it is on the Underground / rail map here: tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/london-r…

London King's Cross is the terminus for trains from Edinburgh Waverley. City Thameslink station has two exits, so if you let us know your destination from that station and the date you will travel we can help sort out how best to make your way from KX to that destination.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,952 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

You change trains....

Use the TFL site to plan your London journey, as advised on your duplicate post...

Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

TravellerPlus, our travel date to London is Aug. 5th anytime after 13:00 and we need to make our to Apex Temple Court hotel. Thanks so much!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

Since you're travelling on a weekday there are no engineering works that will have an impact on First Capital Connect trains from St Pancras to City Thameslink. If you do take the train from St Pancras sit near the front to be nearest the way out at your destination.

Alternately, hop on the 45 or 63 from stop D here tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…kings-cross-a4-121013.pdf Alight at Ludgate Circus for City Thameslink (on the near side of Ludgate Circus) and walk along Fleet Street for your hotel: tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…blackfriars-a4-141213.pdf

If you don't fancy either journey, a taxi (the rank at KX is in Pancras Road) shouldn't cost more than £12 - £13 for the trip to the Apex Temple Court.

Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Train itinerary? Edinburugh waverly to city thameslink?

I've never heard of the First capital connect trains when I've been in London previously. When getting to pancreas station, how do I know which train to catch to get me to city thameslink (what's the final destination)? Are these ones above ground at pancreas station?

Which option do you think is the easiest ( other than a taxi).... Buy the through connection with the national rail company from Edinburgh to city thameslink....or buy the ticket as far as kk and take the tube to blackfriars?