We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London travelcards

Stalybridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London travelcards

Myself and my family (2 adults and 2 children aged 11 and 15) are travelling to London for a week in August, staying in Croydon. Reading info about travelcards, i think this will be the cheapest option for us, as we will probably be going into London each day. Can I preorder the travelcards, and if so, will we need passport photographs?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,383 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: London travelcards

<<On the VisitBrtitain website the postage to London is £2.75, if I am buying a few cards then the postage is split so the extra isn't much. >>

But you are not in London - you are in Cape Town. It's £4.99

But why pay ANYTHING extra? The visit Britain cards are not valid for the 2 for 1 so there's not much point in them

Your old Oyster will still be usable - though if it was a visitor card only for PAYG

Edited: 15 June 2014, 08:33
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: London travelcards

I understand your point, I was planning on posting it to my sister in London. I wasn't sure whether I could buy the 7 day travel card at the Hampstead tube station?

Thanks for your advice.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,287 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: London travelcards

You can buy a travelcard at Hampstead but it won't be eligible for the 2for1's if they are of interest.

Stalybridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: London travelcards

We are staying at the Premier Inn in the town centre of Croydon.

Stalybridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: London travelcards

Am very confused re: 7 day travel cards. Have just read on trip advisors own site that 7 day travelcards are exempt from 241 offers, as we will be issued with oyster cards which are classed as season tickets! Is there a helpline I can ring to clarify?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: London travelcards

Am very confused re: 7 day travel cards. Have just read on trip advisors own site that 7 day travelcards are exempt from 241 offers, as we will be issued with oyster cards which are classed as season tickets! Is there a helpline I can ring to clarify?

-------

Perhaps you can clarify what your question is as I find it confusing.

Who is "issuing you" with Oyster cards? You can buy a 7 day travel card on paper or on an oyster. Only the paper one, if bought at the right station, is eligible.

7 day travel cards on paper from a national rail station are eligible. As has been said a zillion times.

Post 7 in this thread from days ago clearly explains this and even which stations to buy them at.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: London travelcards

Go to East Croydon rail station nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/ECR… and buy your 7 day paper travelcards. Don't forget a passport photo is needed for each member of your family. It is that simple.

texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: London travelcards

We just got back from London and used Oyster cards to travel from Heathrow by tube to our flat. We then went to the Victoria Rail station purchase ticket window where we presented our passport sized photos and purchased paper 7 day travel cards. It was very easy. The 7 day travel cards were cost effective for 5 days in London. We used several of the 2 for 1 deals.

I did pre-order a child's photo ID Oyster card which I picked up at the tube station in Heathrow. This allowed our child to travel on child rates. He looks like an adult so it saved us money. I think we could have just purchased a child 7 day travel card, which would have been easier and worked about the same on money.

At the end of our trip we turned in our two adult Oyster cards and were refunded the balance and the deposit. There's was no refund for the child ID Oyster card. Turn in is at any attended tube station. We did it at Heathrow.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: London travelcards

Adele - Travelcards are issued on Oyster ONLY IF you buy them at Transport for London operated stations, i.e. tube and Overground. If you buy them at a National Rail operated station, they are paper tickets so are eligible for the offers. East Croydon is a National Rail operated station, as it is managed by Southern Railways and not TFL. You will need a minimum of Zones 1-5 as it is a zone 5 station. That is currently £53.40 for the adult 7 day travelcard.

ETA: Just noticed this was a bumped post. But will leave this reply just in case it's useful to someone else.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 16:51
30. Re: London travelcards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 08:17