We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

We are moving to the UK next week so have about 8 large suitcases. I am travelling with my wife and 1 year old son. What options do we have to get from the terminal to a nearby hotel?

The Heathrow Hoppa bus only allows limited luggage per person so is not an option for us. Due to the time we arrive (after flying form Singapore) I need to get to the hotel as quickly as possible to get the boy into a bed.

Will a black cab (or 2 of them) accept such a short fare with so much luggage? Any other suggestions. Or do you have a suggested minicab company in that area.

Much appreciated

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$140.64*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,956 reviews
from US$144.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
513 reviews
from US$97.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
813 reviews
from US$97.90*
Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

Have you thought of having some of your stuff shipped over? It would probably be cheaper than the excess baggage you would have to pay on an airline.

Failing that you could also look into a pre-booked car service, about which there are many threads here.

You don't have to stay at an 'airport' hotel. The Tube (underground), for instance, gets to Earls Court in around half an hour, or else you could take the (expensive) Heathrow Express to Paddington (don't use this option if you are travelling on to another part of London as it wouldn't make sense). Overall I think a pre-booked car service would make the most sense.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

No chance of taking the tube with that much luggage. No excess baggage fees on this trip - it is all included. We are shipping over some other stuff.

Are pre-booked cars the same as minicabs?

We do need to stay at an airport hotel for the first night (unrelated reasons).

Edited: 10 June 2014, 12:36
Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

Broadly speaking a car service is similar to a minicab (though most people here would probably think of a minicab office as being a scruffy little place next to a pub or club!). This thread gives some useful information about car services.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k488…

The only problem with a car service is that they tend to assume you are going into London, albeit to a part not far from the airport. It may be best to contact some of them to tell them your requirements. Of course, you also have the option of staying in one of the hotels that are adjacent to the terminal which would not require any transport.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 12:50
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

Great info - thank you.

Which hotels are adjacent to Terminal 3? I don't recall seeing any hotels in the area previously.

Might be a better solution than getting a car.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

This site gives a list of Heathrow hotels. Most will have a map somewhere in their info giving their exact location in relation to the terminals.

laterooms.com/en/…

It's not ideal, but one solution with so much luggage is for one of you to stay put at the airport with some of the luggage while the other takes the hoppa, returning to do another couple of runs as necessary!

Edited: 10 June 2014, 18:14
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

I don’t think there any Hotels that are walkable from Terminal 3 so it looks like you will need a car.

You don't say how long you will be staying in the Hotel, possibly you might be better away from the Airport.

If you need to stay for several Days I suggest considering one of the budget Hotels at Hounslow Central that would be more convenient for travelling around and also for shopping.

Journey time by Road would be about 20 Minutes.

To get there I suggest you contact a Company from the list in a previous post and discuss your needs with them, one I looked at had Mini Buses.

A Company based near the Airport would be more interested in a short journey.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,110 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

Here's a link that will give you a better idea of where things are located at Heathrow...scroll to the bottom for the map of terminals and hotels.

londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_hotels.htm

I understand about the multiple bags with a move--been there, done that.

What you might consider doing is packing overnight items (pajamas, toothbrush, etc) for your carry-on. Send your wife and little boy on to the hotel. She can get young master ggreg settled, carrying a minimum of items.

Then your choices are; get a dolly, get a taxi large enough to hold all the bags and you. You could probably sit in the front and fill the back seat and boot.

You could also pay extra for a meet and greet service. Windsor Cars and 5Star will, for an additional fee, meet you at arrivals with a sign, and summon the waiting MPV to take you and yours to the nearest, or most convenient, hotel. The last time I did this, I believe the extra cost was £13. (I paid for someone else to be met)

London, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

Best option is definitely a car service, most of the companies will be able to provide a van with 7 or 8 seats. The ones in the back can be folded in order to put the suitcases, and you'll get to the destination without the worry of carrying the luggage.

London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

maybe you could try parkercarservice.co.uk. using their book on line service a large MPV was 32gdp. that should do the trick

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Heathrow to airport Hotel

Probably more useful if the trip wasn't several weeks ago...