We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit August, Nov or April??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visit August, Nov or April??

Hello! I'm planning a trip to London and am debating between going in late August, November or April. August is obviously most ideal weather wise. November is least expensive and April gives me more planning time.

Pro/Cons on each time frame or just your opinion on best time to visit would be greatly appreciate imaged!! First time visitor :)

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit August, Nov or April??

Days are shortest in November. It can be quite dark by 3 or 4 when it is cloudy.

Level Contributor
3,330 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit August, Nov or April??

August is busiest with holiday-makers. IF it's hot (by no means guaranteed) then London gets uncomfortably hot. Because the weather's very seldom really hot, we don't have a lot of air conditioning. So a very hot spell (say, high 20s C & above) makes London unpleasant. On the other hand, it could be cool and/or wet...

As it could also be in April. April can be absolutely delightful in UK, and the evenings are getting longer. But it can also be cold, wet, windy - you get the picture.

The Easter long weekend (Fri to Mon) can be busy.

November, gets dark very early (4/5-ish), often wet, cold and dreary. BUT the city is gearing up for Christmas and the lights are going on, and it can be a bit Dickensian.

My preference would be April first.

But whichever you choose, bring some kind of rainwear.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit August, Nov or April??

August can by sweaty hot (though maybe that's just me), and November has short daytimes and can be grim weather wise.

For me, it would be (late) April every time - Spring things bursting out in the parks, a chance of good weather (though it's notoriously unpredictable)

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit August, Nov or April??

Another vote for April

London, United...
Level Contributor
517 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit August, Nov or April??

Out of the three I'd choose April, for the reasons already given, but given the choice of any month - June (long evenings, the chance of good weather - it's been around 23 degrees and sunny today - and before the schools break up so slightly less crowded and expensive) or September (schools have gone back, the weather can still be suprisingly good). To be honest, any trip to Britain based too much around the chance of good weather just won't work - it's simply too unpredictable.

england
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit August, Nov or April??

As geegesh says. There's a rhyme here "March winds and April showers bring on the May flowers" so expect rain, although you can get that anytime in England. Come late April if possible to avoid Easter. In addition to the (possible) heat the best value accommodation is probably already booked for August. You'll be fine if you have a large budget but if not the longer planning time would be useful.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit August, Nov or April??

Skip November.

If you had any more wiggle room, I would focus on June, which is after the Bank holidays, but before British schools are out, and September, which is gorgeous.

April would be fine.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,064 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit August, Nov or April??

April. Longer daylight hours and usually at least some pleasant weather.

9. Re: Visit August, Nov or April??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 07:15