We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

Rancho Cucamonga...
8 posts
Save Topic
What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

We have a great trip ahead of us in July, traveling to nine different countries in Europe: England, Ireland, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and France... oh my!

I haven't seen a recent post that speaks to men regarding what to pack for a european trip in the summer. I'm coming from California, USA, and we dress casual for most occasions, but I am looking into buying clothes that I could make nice outfits (shirts, pants, outerwear, comfortable shoes) that could be multi-purposed for day use (museums, tours) and nightlife activities (bars, nightclubs).

If you have any suggestions, links, and/or images on what to buy and where to buy from, that would be of great help!

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

How Many days is the trip, as it's hard to tell just by "9 countries" whether that means 9 days or 14 or 21 or longer

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

I haven't seen a recent post that speaks to men regarding what to pack for a european trip in the summer

=====

That's likely because most men dont care, its usually women obsessing about this sort of fashion stuff.

Surely as a grown up you can work this out yourself and dont need pictures???? Seriously?

Anyway, why do you think it would be any different in Europe to California ? Just wear what you would wear at home. Or possibly, when sat on a coach for hours on end if you are on an "if its Tuesday it must be Belgium" type tour.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

What would you wear for a week in San Francisco followed by a week in Los Angeles, allowing for the possibility that it might be hotter or colder than expected? That should cover all eventualities in the places you have mentioned and you will not feel out of place. In these days of mass tourism people in all those places will have seen everything and won't be remotely bothered.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 00:00
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,752 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

Just go with the flow and wear what everyone else is wearing....

…wordpress.com/2011/05/holiday-brit.jpg…

Rancho Cucamonga...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

15 days. In most cases, we will spend about a couple of days in each country.

Rancho Cucamonga...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

I admire good humor, after a couple of whiskey shots...

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

This fairly typical mid-range catalogue might give you some ideas.

http://www.grattan.co.uk/mens/_/N-2d

Though I suspect the things are not vastly different from what they're wearing in California. BTW, a lot of men aren't as slim as that here either:-)

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

Comfortable smart-casual clothes are what I would recommend. Lightweight pants that are cool and do not crease and are easy to wash if necessary. Same with short-sleeved shirts. Lightweight jersey for cooler days and a lightweight rain-proof jacket.

It will be very hot in Italy so you might want to also pack a pair of shorts. Or, better yet, pants that zip off the lower leg to turn into shorts. That way you can zip the legs on to enter churches as required in Italy and take them off again after your visit.

Comfortable shoes and a pair of sandals for the hot days will finish your outfit.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

England: pitch.com/imager/…mr_fancy.jpg

Germany/Austria: https:/…3786668394_01912c6087_o.jpg

Italy: …bbc.co.uk/rmhttp/…r_gladiators.jpg

Switzerland: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Alphor…

France: thetimes.co.uk/tto/…32523762__467454c.jpg

Edited: 11 June 2014, 03:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What men should wear for Summer '14: Europe trip

As you appear to be commencing the trip in England, just travel with hand luggage, and shop when you get to London. There is a shop on Oxford Street called Primark which has everything you will require to be smartly and fashionably turned out on your trip. Or, if you wish to spend a little more, try Saville Row.