We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Various train ticket options

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Various train ticket options

Hello -

We will be in London for 3 days and I'm a little confused about the various train ticket options. Our two kids are under 7, so we'd only be purchasing for 2 adults.

Based on my search on …tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2… I can take the train from Heathrow to Sloan Square to get to our rented apartment, with a change betw Piccadilly and District lines. What 'tickets' should I purchase to make this happen and where can I do so?

1) From what I've read, one option is to load up an Oystercard and from there, if need be, use this to buy a Travelcard? Can these be purchased at Heathrow or any station? And is it true I need a photo to buy a Travelcard?

2) With the kids, we will pbly be using the Tube a fair amount. Is there an option to buy unlimited travel? Would this be worthwhile considering our primary trips would be from Sloane Station to the Tower of London area, Parliment area and Hyde Park area for our 3 days?

Finally, we would like to take advantage of the 2-1 Tower of London tickets. Which of the trip tickets above do we hang on to to allow us to do this? I attempted to download the 2-1 offer off the http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ but it kept throwing in unexpected error :(

Sorry for the slew of questions. Thanks in advance!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Various train ticket options

As you want to use the 2-4-1 offers you will need a PAPER travelcard issued by National Rail. Head to Victoria Station for that. You only need a photo if you're getting a 7-day (or longer period) travelcard. As you're buying one-day cards, you can actually buy them all in one go, just be clear you want them for different days.

Your kids will travel free on TFL services (bus, Tube, etc. - note the cut-off ages!) but not on National Rail services unless they're under 5.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Various train ticket options

You take the tube from Heathrow to Sloane Square, Cash fare is £5.70 per adult, kids (of the age of yours) free

The simplest solution for you is to buy a one day travelcard at £8.90 off peak per day per adult. You can buy this at Heathrow or any tube or rail station with no photo. Unlimited travel on tube bus DLR and some trains

Bought at Heathrow, it won't give you 2 for 1, bought at a rail station it will. Rail stations may well have some blank forms

I'm wondering if the problem with the Tower Of London is that the offer is pulled for the school holidays? I don't know if this is the case this year, but if it is the site would probably throw a wobbly if asked to print a voucher for a wrong date

Edited: 11 June 2014, 20:37
3. Re: Various train ticket options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 07:15