We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

I will be in London in July with my 2 small kids. Appreciate any suggestions for a 7 day rail tour around Europe. Looking for family friendly activities - museums, parks, kids stuff! Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

Personally, I think 7 days + 2 small children + long rail journeys = recipe for disaster.

7 days is not very long. You will spend a lot of time travelling, and in all likelihood will have very bored, frustrated, annoyed children. This is presumably *after* they have had a long-haul flight from Hong Kong? Poor kids.

If you are already in London, stay there for at least 4 days.There is plenty to do for children - dinosaurs in the Natural History Museum, physics experiments in Launchpad at the Science museum, lots of parks, boat trips down the river, you can get a train out to the seaside, go and see a show etc etc. Lots to do. Much of it is free.

If you must go to Europe, get a Eurostar train to Paris and do that. As I'm sure you're aware, the 'ultimate' kids' attraction in Europe, Disneyland, is nearby.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

Thanks Kitty. I appreciate the advice. Yes, we will come from Hong Kong, but the kids will be over their jet lag by this stage. As we are from Hong Kong, we have our own Disneyland, so we don't need to go there. Any tips for a 5 day eurostar tour to Paris along the lines of what you mentioned?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,332 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

Any tips for a 5 day eurostar tour to Paris along the lines of what you mentioned?

==============================

Think about what made you want to visit there in the first place - and plan accordingly. So, if you want to see Notre Dame, look for the details about getting there. That's the first part of your itinerary and so on.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

Hi. Have you been in London before? With kids? It's a very child friendly town to visit .

Have you decided on Paris or it's just another name in Europe?

How old are your kids? What gender?

If you're very anxious to go some place else, I would suggest Netherlands. It's a very child friendly country and most accessible , thanks to train- ferry - train deal.

Please specify your questions. It will help experts( not me) help you.

Enjoy. Yuri.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

Do you have 7 days total for the trip? Does that include travel days? Since you say kids will be over the jet lag, are you going somewhere else before London?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

Hi Yuri and btgm,

My kids are 10 and 2.5 year old receptively. The 10 year old has been to London a few times but he loves all the museums and we'll definitely do that again. This trip they're first going to visit their grandparents in Leeds with daddy and then I'll meet them up in London to go to one of the children friendly Europe city - Paris came to my mind first because it's closest and we can take a train there. I'm thinking to spend a week in Europe and then go back to London for another 3 days then go back to Hong Kong. Yuri mentioned Netherlands, can you tell me more on what I can do/go there? And if going to stay in Paris for 7 days, any recommendation on things to do with my kids? Someone suggested to go to Disneyland, the big castle, zoo, museums etc. any other hidden gems we could explore?

Thanks.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

A week in Netherlands is great. You can go to De Efteling, which is much more then an ordinary theme park. It's about ferry tales and has a very unique charm. There is a Dolfinarium in Harderwijk, which is great. Amsterdam Zoo! Is so special. Amsterdam, channels, day out trips in the area.

Train -ferry- train is the best solution if you travel with kids. You leave Liverpool st. about 19:30 to Harwich, by 22:00 you are on ferry where you can arrange supper for your guys, there is a play area. In your cabin you shower them and put them to bed. By 6:30 next morning you are in Hoek van Holland. Breakfast on the ship. light train to Rotterdam Central...... By 10:00 opening time for Efteling you are there. If you book a room at their hotel, you get a nice deal on entry tickets.

Your train ferry train is valid to any station in Netherlands and from any station in Netherlands. Costs are lower then flight ( if you add a taxi to airport) and you don't loose a whole day on traveling there. Same is for the travel back.

Netherlands Has an educative value for kids. You see nation working so hard to win little pieces of land from the sea. Kids gig that!

Any more info?

I have done such a trip 3 Summers a go with my 7 y.o.( then she was) daughter.

She loved Netherlands so much, demanded to go back there again!

If you decide on Netherlands , I may suggest you start a thread on its forum. There are wonderful people there.

I am sure you are going to get all the help you might need.

P.S. If you go to Amsterdam, don't miss Kinder Kook Cafe in Vondel Park. You kids will cook for you and you will take a pics and then eat it!

Yuri.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 17:46
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

If you post on the Paris forum you'll get a lot of wonderful responses I'm sure. As for things in Paris kids may like:

Luxembourg Gardens - floating boats/ puppet shows

climbing the towers at Notre Dame (although that may be difficult for the 2yr old)

Eiffel Tower

Going on top of Arc de Triomphe

Fete des Tuileries in Jardins des Tuileries

wandering the historic streets and learning the history .

my kids last summer just loved being there - my daughter loved the art, my son loved the food but none of mine are 2.... that will create a different trip

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

BTW, I am not against Paris at all . In fact, we are planning to spend a week there this very Summer.

I was thinking about logistics, Dad with two kids, pick pocketing situation in Paris and etc... Somehow I think Holland is easier to handle.

Yuri.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,765 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single Parent Family Train Tour to Europe from London

I'd also recommend Amsterdam and also Rotterdam with its maritime museum, river cruises and the excellent Euromast Tower which you can go up in a lift and have great views over the city and extensive docks of Rotterdam.

You might also like Brussels with its Belgian Comic Strip Center (the Smurfs, Tintin etc) and the famous Manneken Pis.

A good website for advice on travelling around Europe by train is www.seat61.com

Edited: 12 June 2014, 18:27