We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Tower of London During Tour de France?

West Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
155 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Tower of London During Tour de France?

I just found out today that the Tour de France will be in central London when we were planning on seeing the sites in that area, particularly the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Horse Guards, etc. Now wondering if we can get to those sites relatively easily without much hassle. Otherwise, have to revamp our short stay. Any input is appreciated.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Tower of London During Tour de France?

I found a thread with all the info for this on page 3 here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k75346…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Tower of London During Tour de France?

Latest email from TFL

I am writing to let you know that on Monday 7 July, Stage 3 of the Tour de France will be coming to London, continuing our reputation as the world capital of events. The race will start in Cambridge, travelling through Essex, north, east and central London, finishing on The Mall.

Roads

Roads on and around the route will be closed to traffic from 10:00 and reopen by 18:00, provided it is safe to do so. Pedestrian access to properties will not be affected. Tower, Southwark and Westminster Bridges will be closed for most of the day. Road users are advised to avoid areas near the event route wherever possible.

Public transport

Tube and Rail will be the best way to get around although stations along the route will be extremely busy, particularly during the evening peak. Buses in the area will be on diversion or will stop short of their destinations from 09:00 – 18:00. A number of Barclays Cycle Hire docking stations will be suspended.

To know your travel options, please visit tfl.gov.uk/tourdefrance

Yours sincerely,

Vernon Everitt

Managing Director,

Customer Experience, Marketing and Communications

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Tower of London During Tour de France?

I think I would find something else to do that day (like cheering on the cyclists!)

It isn't that uncommon to have road closures for bikes but these are for the whole of a working day and will hit evening rush hour - tubes will be very busy if there are no / restricted buses.

Can you swap one of your days around?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Tower of London During Tour de France?

A good day for Kew Gardens or Hampton Court Palace....

5. Re: Visiting Tower of London During Tour de France?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:16