We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy OysterCard?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saugerties, NY
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy OysterCard?

I am travelling with my 13 year old daughter and I was advised to purchase an OysterCard for travel between my hotel and some of the departure points and sights during our stay. We will be in London for 5 nights. For example, we would need to get from Comfort Inn Hyde Park to Bea's in Bloomsbury, Victoria Station for a tour departure, Hard Rock Café, Tower of London, and such...can I buy in the airport upon our arrival so I can use it once we get settled in? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy OysterCard?

Oyster is a payment method,not a travel ticket. With a five day stay in London you may wish to buy a seven day Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 and add a bit of Pay As You Go money to cover the journey from Heathrow (in zone 6) to the boundary of zone 2. Buy the card at Heathrow airport and it will be sold to you loaded on an Oyster card.

A seven day card will cost £31.40, and unless you plan a great many journeys beyond zones 1 and 2 then £6 or £7 of PAYG pre-pay should be enough for a couple of out of zone trips.

Your daughter may buy one day off peak Travelcards (sold as paper tickets, not loaded on Oyster) for zones 1 - 6 for £3.70, with off peak travel from 0930 on weekdays but any time at weekends or public holidays. Your seven day Travelcard is good for use at any time, not just off peak.

However. If you and your daughter wish to make use of the offers at www.daysoutguide.co.uk you will need to buy paper Travelcards at a National Rail ticket office of which there is not one at Heathrow airport. Your hotel, which is in Bayswater, is a 20 minute walk from Paddington station for purchase of the necessary paper Travelcards if you wish to use the two for one offers.

For more information about the offers, please see the traveller articles about them under Top Questions about London. If you decide not to use them then for you a seven day Travelcard plus PAYG money on Oyster and one day cards for your daughter will be the business.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
145 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy OysterCard?

TravellerPlus you helped so so much with London questions especially with clarifying OysterCard vs. TravelCard. We are all so lucky you are still posting on TA. Best to you.

Saugerties, NY
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy OysterCard?

Thank you so much. Excellent detailed information.

Saugerties, NY
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy OysterCard?

Thank you so much. Excellent detailed information. I already have pre-arranged transport between Heathrow and my hotel

5. Re: Where to buy OysterCard?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:16