We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

Troy, Missouri
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

I would like to get dome comments on my trip to London. Just to give you an idea of how we may need to pace ourselves, Myself and my wife are in our 50's and my mother mid 70's. She is a little slow in walking compaired to ourselves and she says she wants to use taxi rides over buses and I have no idea if she can do subways. We have rented an apartment in the theatre district on Shaftsbury. That given here is my current plan. I would like comments.

Monday Day 1. Arrive Heathrow 9 am, I have car booked to go to apartment. Arrive about 11:00 probably before noon, drop off luggage, find local grocery store or eat lunch, buy lunch. Have appointment with A/C rental hopefully at 1:00 pm. Walk to Leicester Square for evening, explore our neighborhood find restaurant for supper

Tuesday Day 2 Book black taxi tour first part of morning. Start on own after taxi tour at Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abby try to take Verger tour, Churchill war rooms, Guards Museum, Royal Mews? Evening dining near apartment.

Wednesday Day 3 tour Tower of London in morning, possible see HMS Belfast, tower Bridge tour. Depending on time later afternoon St. Paul's. Evening theatre of some kind. On list to possibly see are Les Miserables, War Horse, Lion King, Agatha Christy's The Mouse Trap

Thursday Day 4 Booked East End Food Tour starts 10, ends about 1:30, afterwards see Museum of London or London Transport Museum. Evening theatre.

Friday Day 5 Booked Stonehenge, Bath, Windsor Castle small group tour with International Friends.

Saturday Day 6 morning head straight to Portobello Road, back to Selfridges then on to British Museum. Evening is open for nice restaurant

Sunday Day 7 A little more open day. Would like to go to Speakers Corner in Hyde Park, see Victoria & Albert Museum, Harrods. Thinking of booking Fawlty Towers dinner theatre, big fan of the show.

Monday Day 8 tube and train to Hampton Court, if get back early afternoon, see things may have had to bypass

Tuesday Day 9 day trip, international Friends small group to Leeds, Canterbury, Dover. Booked already.

Wednesday Day 10 I go to Imperial War Museum by myself, ladies free to do whatever.

Thursday Day 11 day trip to Highclere Castle and Bampton, by private chauffeur.

Friday Day 12 fly back to US.

Things I want to work in if possible:

Covent garden and Spitelfields market

Natural History Museum

Wesley's Chapel

Tate Britain museum, Florence Nightingale museum.

See Fabian Window and artwork at Shaw Library at LSE- if I can get in for a few minutes, it's close to our apartment.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

Day 9, Leeds?!!!!!!!!!! a large industrial town in West Yorkshire?? really??

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

I think he means Leeds castle!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

Day2 has too much in it. You could see those things from the outside in one afternoon but there is no time to visit them all (do you feel you have to visit them all because you have already purchased a London pass? This is what I fear).

Buses are easy but the tube is hard for those with mobility problems. Passengers often have to walk a long way at tube stations and there are small numbers of stairs at most stations. That said, my parents are of a similar age to your mother and have no problems using the tube. They just take their time. Buses can "kneel" to let passengers on

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

I agree, day two is too packed. I also think the group tours you are doing are too busy each day but it sounds like there are already booked. I personally do not like drive-by tourism but lots of people do it. I would suggest you hit one major site first thing in the morning and be flexible after that to see other things depending on time and how much energy you have. Even if you take a taxi between destinations allow for travel time between place due to traffic. It might save steps but sometimes it's faster to walk rather than take a car.

Also keep in mind that there will be a lot of walking even if you take taxis. You still have some time to start building up your stamina and break in your shoes before you arrive. If you can't walk at least five miles a day then you will struggle to keep up on your schedule. Start now walking each day and build up to at least 5 miles or more. When we are doing a day of touring we will hit 10 miles in a day easy.

Level Contributor
3,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

There's a LOT of walking, as all of the attractions involve a lot of walking just to see them. You may find that you do have to cut things out. I would suggest plan one major attraction/area to wander for each day, and see how you feel afterwards... have a list of a couple of other things you want to do in the same area after lunch if you're not exhausted.

Do not underestimate the amount of walking/standing/walking you will do in museums - in some ways, the most exhausting of all. Give yourself plenty of time to stop for a cup of tea in museum cafés, or the many other cafés you'll find.

Taxis are plentiful - you can wave a London cab down easily (unless they're on strike). Look for those with the light on the roof to check they're vacant. BUT not only do they rapidly become expensive, they can be really slow. A journey of a mile or two on London's crowded streets can take a loooong time. Frustrating if you're on a tight sightseeing schedule.

If you want to do Selfridges (it's just a department store, although a pretty nice one), choose any day but Saturday. Oxford Street is horrendous on Saturdays. It's the big shopping street in London and it's where out-of-towners doing day/weekend shopping trips all head for. Other than Selfridges itself, which is quite classy, the whole street is horrid and I wouldn't go near it on a Saturday if you paid me.

Of the things you'd like to see but aren't on your schedule, Covent Garden is where the London Transport Museum is, so you could double those up.

Edited: 14 June 2014, 09:25
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

Try and get her in a bus! They're cheap, frequent and easy to use. You can get great views from them, even from downstairs.

Troy, Missouri
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

Thanks for the replies. First of all, yes, it's Leeds Castle. As far as day 2, I think we will just concentrate on Wesminster Abby for the most part. We have some time built into the trip to go back to see what we miss.

Thanks for the tip about Oxford Street being a mob on Saturday. We will pick another day for Selfriges.

Would the fastest way to go to Potobello Road on Saturday be the tube or taxi? Mother wants to go on Saturday to see the temporary antique stalls. It will be one of the farthest trips on our own other than Hampton Court. I guess I have not taken traffic time into account, thanks for the heads up on that. We are planning on buying Oyster Cards at the airport so buses will be no problem, I will have to learn which ones to take.

Any other comments? This forum is great.

Sweden
Level Contributor
248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

Dunno how long it takes by taxi, but the tube would take about 25 minutes (one change) and I suspect it won't be quicker by cab on a Saturday. A taxi might be more relaxed though, since you can just get in and sit back. It'll be more expensive though. Taking a bus is another option if you're not in a great hurry. I love the bus, because you get to see London, which you won't on the tube.

Just my two cents.

Sweden
Level Contributor
248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

Link did not work.

Going by bus would, according to tfl.gov.uk take about 45 minutes, including walking. It would be buses 38 or 19 from Cambridge Circus to Hyde Park Corner Station and then bus 52 from there to Stanley Gardens, after that a 5 minute walk to the market.

This is what the TFL website says, maybe someone knows a better route.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 07:15
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 day London visit itinery to review for July August.

Why did you rent the car again?