We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excessive black cab fare

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Excessive black cab fare

Yesterday, we had to take a black cab from BBC Broadcasting House to Marylebone Station -mmy wife was feeling a little tired having been on the BBC Tour and could not face the tube.

Now if I were going to make that journey I would go straight up Portland Place, turn left on New Cavendish Street, over into Blandford St, right on to Gloucester Place and left at Dorset Square (my dad was a cabbie). This particular cabbie however, had totally different ideas and we ended up being stung £11.20 for the fare.

What redress does a member of the public have in this situation. The fare charged was the one that was shown on the meter, i am not disputing that, but the route taken was certainly not the the quickest or most direct route ?

Strawberry Tours - Free Walking Tours London
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Fun London Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Castlederg
Level Contributor
542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Excessive black cab fare

Laura; I don't think the op was complaining about the £2.70, what if he over charged every fare by 20%. I don't like to be ripped off, and I'm shure you don't either.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Excessive black cab fare

From what I could make out, the allegation of overcharging arises because the taxi driver did not take a specific route as described in the OP, but that route is impossible because it would mean travelling the wrong way down a one-way street.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Excessive black cab fare

Yes Myrtle_Villa, you are correct about Blandford Street having no access from Marylebone High Street. I guess I got a little confised and maybe it was George Street. The fact remains that whichever cross street he used, it would have taken less time and would have been a lot less in terms of distance, had he made a right turn into Gloucester Place rather than eventually crossing the Marylebone Road via Old Marylebone Road and Lisson Grove.

Yes Laura, £2.70 is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things, but as I have said earlier, the attitude of this particular cab driver left a great deal to be desired when he was asked about the route that he took. You may be prepared to accept such rudeness, I am not

Castlederg
Level Contributor
542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Excessive black cab fare

Steve: I am with you on this one. If you can be bothered to put ur complaint in writing , I think you should. After all black cabs are supposed to be profesional, and from what your saying it don't sound like you had a profesional service. And black cab drivers are allways whingeing about mini cabs and the fact that mini cab drivers don't have to have any qualifacations. If your paying for a premium service an get poor service then yes you should complain.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Excessive black cab fare

I hope you didn't tip him :p.

Go Uber! :D

london
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Excessive black cab fare

I don't think it fair to make judgments without the other side of the story. After all the original person says they dont know what route was taken. I use black cabs all the time and it is very rare to find a rude black cab driver or to find one ripping you off. £11.20 doesn't sound much over the top to me for that journey especially as we don't know the level of traffic. I do know central London has been a nightmare to get around recently with numerous roads closed for pomp and ceremony or preparing for such pomp and ceremony.

27. Re: Excessive black cab fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 06:16