We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

auckland
Level Contributor
159 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

Hi, our youngest daughter is taking an arduous flight from New Zealand, and arriving in London around 8pm after almost 30 hours of flying. She needs to get to East Finchley? We would be happier having her met at the airport and taken safely to the place she is staying. Can anyone recommend a good shuttle service that we can pay from this end? Thanks so much.

London
Level Contributor
10,334 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

Shuttles don't work in London - because there are a range of better alternatives. If you are convinced she can't manage the tube, then search in the London forum for the list of recommended car services.

auckland
Level Contributor
159 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

Thanks for that information, I will email a couple of the car services and check it out, I am sure our daughter would manage the tube,, but for peace of mind on her first trip away I am happy to pay for her to be met, just this once.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,468 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

If your daughter is doing her Great OE, then the more planning she does herself, will make it less confusing to her when she arrives.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

Piccadilly Line Tube to Kings Cross / St Pancras, Northern Line to East Finchley

Takes just over an hour and could be done step free as KX/StP has elevators

If she can find her way out of the airport there shouldn't be any problem using the Tube

Any particular reason why East Finchley - and more importantly where in East Finchley as there's a chance that "East Finchley" is estate agent speak

Edited: 18 June 2014, 13:02
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

'Peace of mind' - there's nothing wrong with getting the tube - there will be plenty of people on it at 8/9pm at night.

A car service to E. Finchley won't be cheap - long way from Heathrow!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

I appreciate why a dad might wish to buy his daughter a pleasant and hassle free trip end of a very long flight in a new country/city. And, to stereotype, she probably has two steamer trunks to manage as well. Plenty of time for her to find her feet later.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

looking at the name .. "or mum" :-)

London
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

East Finchley immediately rings alarm bells as it could cover a very wide part of London - much of it inaccesible and not great for using as a base. I repeat the query about exactly where and how she ended up with East Finchley. May be nothing, but worth checking.

auckland
Level Contributor
159 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

I agree - she has planned the rest of the five month trip herself without us involved at all, but for the first leg, with jetlag, we are wanting to ensure she has a safe and easy transfer to her friend in East Finchley

auckland
Level Contributor
159 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe and reliable shuttle from Heathrow?

Thanks for the concern, I have no idea where East Finchley is actually, but she is meeting a friend who is staying with family there, and they have kindly offered her a couple of nights accommodation before she and the friend catch their first flight, to Morocco (arriving there at midnight.....). Once she has arrived in London she is doing it all herself, but just want to make sure she gets to the first step!